Jewish students raise money for terror victims with comedy event

By Kathy Khazanova

After seeing victims of terror from Israel first hand, the director of Chabad, Rabbi Dovid Tiechtel and a group of students on campus decided to do something about it: Bring a comedian to campus.

“We live here in the United States and sometimes we get very comfortable, but if we have a close friend that goes through a hard time we see reality,” Tiechtel said. “We met these people, we met these kids and we realized the reality. We wanted to help them.”

For the second year in a row, students from the five Jewish-affiliated Greek houses on campus along with Chabad are raising money for Chabad’s Terror Victims Project by having a Jewish stand-up comic perform. This year, Gary Gulman, from Dane Cook’s Tourgasm and NBC’s Last Comic Standing, is performing Thursday at the Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin Ave.

Last year’s event was a success, said Brandon Keene, former president of Zeta Beta Tau fraternity and junior in LAS.

“The show was fun so people didn’t feel like it was an obligation,” Keene said. “People thought it was a fun thing to do on campus.”

Last year, the group had Aaron Karo, self-proclaimed “author, comedian and recovering frat boy” come to campus.

“This year we wanted to do a comedian again to coincide with what we did last year,” said Jeff Collons, former president of Sigma Alpha Mu and junior in LAS.

Although organized by Jewish students and Chabad, Collons hopes the audience will be diverse.

“Obviously we’re planning on good attendance from our five houses and the Jewish community, but we’re hoping Gary Gulman can attract people outside of that,” Collons said. “Even though it started off as a Jewish based thing and for a Jewish charity, we want to get anybody involved, anybody in the Greek community, anybody in the U of I community, to support a good cause.”