Badgley Mischka: Modern glamour for every day of the week

By Samantha Critchell

NEW YORK – The Badgley Mischka spring collection offers a grand mix of town and country.

The upscale label that has been a favorite source of eveningwear for celebrities and socialites has made an effort over the last two years to diversify its offerings, which meant a parade of Badgley Mischka gowns, day dresses, pants, shoes, sunglasses, swimwear, hats and handbags down the runway at the biggest venue at the Bryant Park tents during New York Fashion Week Thursday.

“There were glamorous gowns to weekend chic. It really was a modern way of thinking,” said Michael Fink, fashion director at Saks Fifth Avenue.

“This was really the comeback collection,” Fink said. “It was glamorous for the evening but there were also modern, long and lean looks. There was just enough dazzle.”

An orange-and-black print tunic with black wool pants – wide legs were the standard here – was topped with a brown shantung jacket that had just a bit of sheen. A dark denim jacket with half sleeves and a brown-and-black print camisole were worn with pants made of that same shantung fabric.

A coat covered in a yellow, black and white floral was graphic but not overpowering – and it looked just right over a simple black gauze dress.

The swimsuits were fancier than you’d normally see on a beach. A black and white ombre one-piece suit made of jersey with an overlay of netting had a completely open back, for example. It certainly was attractive, especially on a model’s body, but begged the question of who would wear it? And where?

Maybe a TV star – on Wisteria Lane? “Desperate Housewives'” Teri Hatcher, who stars in the current Badgley Mischka ad campaign, sat in the front row at the show.

Perhaps Hatcher was shopping for a gown for the upcoming Emmy awards. Her choices included a pink-and-white stripe chiffon gown with dainty pink beading along the halter neck, a black-and-nude chiffon gown with asymmetrical pleat details that all came together around a crystal belt buckle or a breezy chiffon gown in a violet, white and black print with a delicately beaded waistband that had a panel of fabric trail behind it.

Fashion Week runs through Wednesday in Manhattan, with bellwether designers Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Vera Wang and Proenza Schouler still to come.