Twenty-eight charged in trashing of poet Robert Frost’s former residence in Vermont

By John Curran

NEW HAVEN, Vt. – Twenty-eight people are accused of attending a birthday party and New Year’s celebration that left a farm house where poet Robert Frost once spent his summers in tatters.

They were all charged with trespassing and five of them with unlawful mischief – both misdemeanors – stemming from the Dec. 28 party at the Homer Noble Farm house, authorities said.

The farm house had broken windows, broken antique furniture and tables burned in a fireplace. Vomit and urine stained the carpeting, and beer cans, cups and drug paraphernalia were left behind.

The damage was estimated at $10,600. Witnesses said marijuana was used but no drug charges were filed for lack of evidence, Vermont State Police Sgt. Lee Hodsden said.

The destruction apparently began when a broken chair was thrown into a fireplace being used to heat the building, a furnished residence used in the summer by Middlebury’s Bread Loaf writer’s program, Hodsden said.

A cabin on the property where Frost is said to have done some of his writing was untouched.

Lisa Boudah, Middlebury’s public safety director, said officials are reviewing plans to beef up security.

Frost, the author of “The Road Not Taken” and “The Gift Outright,” summered at the site for more than 20 years before his death in 1963.