Funeral arrangements for Ledger are complete, family to arrive Friday

A makeshift memorial for the deceased actor Heath Ledger is seen, Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2008, outside the apartment building where his body was found in the SoHo neighborhood of New York. Authorities said the death was a possible overdose, but were awaiting Gary He, The Associated Press

AP

By Verena Dobnik

NEW YORK- Funeral arrangements for Heath Ledger have been completed and his relatives were expected to arrive in New York on Friday, a funeral home spokesman said.

George Amado, the general manager of the Frank E. Campbell funeral home, refused to disclose any more details, saying that any additional information would have to come from Ledger’s manager.

“The family doesn’t want us to give out any information,” he said Thursday.

The 28-year-old actor’s body was taken to the funeral home on Manhattan’s Upper East Side on Wednesday, a day after he was found dead in his SoHo loft with bottles of prescription drugs nearby.

An autopsy Wednesday was inconclusive and further test results weren’t expected to be known for several days, the medical examiner’s office said. Police have said the Australian-born actor’s death may have been caused by a drug overdose and appeared to be accidental.

On Thursday, the makeshift memorial outside Ledger’s apartment building had grown to more than 100 bouquets of tulips, daisies, carnations and tropical flowers, along with candles, signs, notes and other memorials.

A computer printout of an Australian flag bore the message: “We will always be proud of you, Heath. Rest in peace, mate. You will be missed.”