‘Project Runway’ contestants bring feathers, ruffles, emotion to the real runway

Project Runway judges, from left, Nina Garcia and Michael Kors, Victoria Beckham and Heidi Klum attend Bravo Networks Project Runway final runway show during Fashion Week, Friday, Feb. 8, 2008, in New York. Peter Kramer, The Associated Press

AP

Project Runway judges, from left, Nina Garcia and Michael Kors, Victoria Beckham and Heidi Klum attend Bravo Networks “Project Runway” final runway show during Fashion Week, Friday, Feb. 8, 2008, in New York. Peter Kramer, The Associated Press

By Lisa Tolin

NEW YORK–For Victoria Beckham, there was a clear winner at the “Project Runway” show Friday at New York Fashion Week. But she wasn’t telling who.

Beckham is a guest judge for the two-part finale, which airs Feb. 27 and March 5.

“That one person really made me smile,” Beckham said. “Everything I saw, I would wear myself.”

Five remaining contestants presented collections Friday to a celebrity-studded audience at the Bryant Park tents. There was some reality show synergy in the front row with Tyson Beckford and Nikki Taylor of “Make Me a Supermodel,” Padma Lakshmi and Ted Allen from “Top Chef,” and a few former competitors from “America’s Next Top Model” on the runway.

Several “Project Runway” contestants choked up at the sight of the overflowing audience. Only three collections will be televised on Bravo, but producers want to avoid giving a hint of who the finalists are.

Christian Siriano, the contestant fans love to hate, was a tent favorite with an avant-garde collection playing with feathers, oversized ruffles and curvy blazers with wide shoulders and flared hips.

Rami Kashou focused on beautiful dresses, using softly layered draping, ruffles and a checkerboard weave. Models were styled as goddesses for the collection he said “celebrates women.”

Jillian Lewis showed standout coats – one with a wide collar in metallic herringbone, and another with cut-outs in the elbows and a ruffled hem showing a peek of red.

Chris March, the costume designer and fan favorite, went for high drama with velvet, beading and brocade. He also showed his sense of humor with his use of a hair-like fringe and a flowing halter dress embossed with the image of the Mona Lisa.

Kathleen “Sweet P” Vaughn had a very wearable collection, playing with trends seen elsewhere this Fashion Week of mustard yellow, purple and exposed zippers. A green-gold tiered dress and long coat were standouts.

“It’s going to be very, very hard for us to judge them today,” said host Heidi Klum.

The last contestant to be “aufed” by Klum, Ricky Lizalde, said he was rooting for Jillian and Rami. “I think both of their crafts were up to par,” he said. He didn’t comment on Christian, a vocal critic of his.

Lizalde, who is probably best known for his frequent crying, said he felt good about how he was portrayed.

“I wasn’t a jerk. It was a little tough watching myself cry every week, but once I got over that and realized I wear my heart on my sleeve, I was OK with it,” he said.

The winner of “Project Runway” gets $100,000, a car, an editorial feature in ELLE magazine and the opportunity to sell a line on Bluefly.com. An extra challenge, “Sew Not Over,” will be judged by fans online and shown on Feb. 21 through March 6.

Outside the tents, a fan approached the show’s fashion guru, Tim Gunn, with his own signature line: “Did they make it work?”

He smiled and answered, “Yes.”