UI students share stories from past Valentine’s Days

By Kathy Khazanova

Weird things happen to people everyday. I, for one, rack up at least four awkward stories per day. But for some reason, awkward situations are magnified on Valentine’s Day. If you fall victim to a stalking admirer, or don’t meet your significant other’s expectations on Valentine’s Day (as opposed to any other day), the event is a much bigger deal and you are 10 times more likely to remember the situation for the rest of your life. And then there are those of us who actually do the nice, romantic Valentine’s Day thing. Here are a few funny and cute Valentine’s Day stories that University students have to share.

Mallory Nebergall, Junior in LAS

“It was in the middle of the night on the 13th and (my fiancée’s) car got stuck at Huff Hall. He was planning on proposing on Valentine’s Day but all his plans fell through; the flowers couldn’t get delivered and stuff, so he asked if I wanted to go for a walk and on the walk he proposed. I was in sweats, it was the middle of the night. It was more romantic that way.”

Luke Fencl, Sophomore in Engineering

“(I told) my girlfriend ‘I made this chocolate heart for you blah blah blah’ and made it all cheesy. Once we broke up, after all the arguments, I told her ‘FYI, I didn’t even make that heart, my mom made it.’ She was like ‘I should have known.’ It was more in a humorous kind of way, not angry.”

Nicole Papageorgiou, Junior in LAS

“I had a boyfriend in high school. It was Valentine’s Day, and he didn’t give me anything yet, and I thought maybe he was just not into the day. After my last class of the day I went to my locker, and there was this humongous bear holding chocolates and roses. And then I don’t know if he was standing there, but he came around the corner and was like ‘Happy Valentines Day!'”

Mairin Gilmartin, Sophomore in LAS

“When I was a senior in high school my boyfriend went away to (college) and I sent him this stuffed animal, and I was really excited about it but then he never sent me anything back and I was really upset about it and then we broke up.”

Mike Schneberg. Senior in LAS

“I was a sophomore in high school and it was my first real girlfriend and I totally forgot it was Valentine’s Day the next day. So I ran to like five different Walgreens looking for flowers. And I ended up getting her one big sunflower because there were no roses and all the bouquets sucked, and this was like at 12 o’clock at night. She was just like ‘Thank you?’ It worked out well, but definitely wasn’t what she was expecting.”