Feminist Majority group sponsors ‘Sex Out Loud’

Senior in LAS Amy Kunkel, member of The Feminist Majority, colors in a vagina outline as part of Sex Out Loud at the Illini Union March 14, 2007. Erica Magda

By Vince Dixon

Genitalia shaped candies, sex toys and informational pamphlets on sexual health were just some of the items included in previous years’ Sex Out Loud’ sexual health awareness fairs. This year, the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, who sponsors the event, said it hopes to offer a wider range of perspectives.

Alexandra Beiriger, a junior in LAS and President of the Feminist Majority, said there will be booths and organizations that represent varying viewpoints on sexual health. Topics range from chastity to safe sex issues.

“If there’s something that people can criticize, there’s (also) something that they would like,” Beiriger said, adding that the fair addresses many concerns. “We just feel as though everything should be presented to you.”

Beiriger attended the fair for the first time during her freshman year. She said the experience helped her learn more about sexual health and inspired her to join the Feminist Majority. Now president and first-time organizer of the event, Beiriger said she hopes this year’s fair will draw a good crowd and educate others.

“It’s a really good way to give everyone a taste of everything right at their finger tips,” Beiriger said about the event. She added that the Alliance spent four months of preparation and advertising for what they plan will be a success.

The Alliance has reserved a room in the Illini Union and will fill it with booths, tables and displays with sexual awareness themes. Issues such as sexual violence, abortion and feminism will be among the major focuses of the 16 organizations in attendance. Beiriger said the organizations will have the opportunity to educate the public on these issues and help people feel more comfortable with their sexuality.

The fair has received harsh criticism in the past for promoting sex. Beiriger said that people have accused the event of promoting infidelity, but added that this is not the case. She said the fair was created to educate and encourage people to express their feelings on sex.

Lucy Liu, a freshman in LAS, agrees.

“I think (Sex Out Loud) is a good thing,” said Liu. “People need to know what type of problems are out there.”

Liu said that she would love to attend the event because it puts tough issues about sex in the open. She said that they are issues that she would normally be afraid to ask.

That is what Beiriger said the Feminist Majority also attempts to do throughout the year. Aside from running the fair, the group holds panel discussions and takes group trips to events that focus on women’s equality. They are events that follow the organization’s mission.

The Feminists Majority’s mission statement states that the alliance sets out to inform the campus of issues related to women’s rights and equality in society. It also states that the group will do this “through active programming efforts and remarkable events that can really engage the student population.”

Sex Out Loud is one of these events that Beiriger said that people usually look forward to.

“I hope people will feel more comfortable with their sexuality,” Beiriger said. “If you can’t talk about sexuality openly, you can’t take (responsibility) for it.”

The event will be today from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Illini Union.