Boy George denied visa, awaits trial in London

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK – Do they really want to hurt him?

That’s the question Boy George’s managers are asking U.S. authorities now that the 47-year-old singer has been denied a visa to enter the country.

The Culture Club frontman, whose real name is George O’Dowd, had planned a U.S. tour this summer, including a free concert at the New York City Department of Sanitation’s Family Day in August. He worked for the department in 2006 while performing court-ordered community service in a drug case.

His managers said in a statement Monday that O’Dowd has been denied a visa because he’s awaiting trial in London.

The singer, whose hits include “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” and “Karma Chameleon,” has pleaded not guilty to imprisoning a man at his London home.

The U.S. Department of State said visa records are confidential so it couldn’t comment.

“I am getting my life together and was really looking forward to performing in concert for all my loyal fans. I love America and I am really sad that it appears that I am not allowed to visit a place I have called home at various times in my life,” O’Dowd said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.