University students enjoy season at Curtis Orchard

By Megan Graham

What began as a small roadside apple stand has become a favorite fall destination for locals and University students alike at Curtis Orchard in Champaign, Ill.

“It’s been good to see the business grow. It started as a glorified roadside stand in the early eighties and it’s grown into this huge business that people know across the state,” said Chris Curtis, the youngest son of Joyce and Paul Curtis, who began the business in 1977.

Apple and pumpkin-picking are in full swing during the Orchard’s peak season, which Curtis said typically takes place in the first two weeks in October. Visitors can also enjoy a corn maze, live music, tractor rides, and face-painting for children.

“We have noticed some of the weekends getting busier. Last weekend was one of the busiest weekends we ever had here. We had the perfect recipe: great weather, no home football game, and good apples,” Curtis said.

Curtis attributes the increase in business partially to advertising to students. He said that the Orchard has become a member of I-Card, which allows students to receive discounts and free products with the use of their card. He believes the new interstate exchange has also helped to bring in more business.

“I think the new interstate exchange has helped increase traffic, especially out-of-state traffic,” said Curtis. “It’s just a quick zip down to us, so we’re hoping people take advantage of that.”

Students at the University have also noticed the increase in business at the Orchard. Junior in Mathematics Eric Modes, vice-president of the October Lovers club on campus, helps to organize a trip to the Orchard each fall.

“It was pretty busy. There were definitely community people there and there were also people from a sorority that were there. A little bit of everything,” Modes said.

Modes says the October Lovers have visited the Orchard every year since the club began.

“It’s close to campus, which is nice, especially since we bus people out so it’s nice to have it close and people can drive if they want also,” Modes said. “People like apples. It’s fun to apple pick with people you know and have fun with.”

Junior in LAS Emy Konrath also visited the Orchard this year. She said that though it was very crowded, she enjoyed her time there.

“We picked pumpkins and we saw the goats there, they were so cute!” Konrath said. “We picked some apples, and bought some of the items. We got some really good apple cider and caramel apples and the donuts, which were so good.”

Curtis also said that he has noticed that Curtis Orchard has become a popular spot for students, and he hopes they will return in future visits to U of I.

“We want alumni to remember the orchard, stop off on their way down, get items for their tailgate, and keep on going,” he said.

Konrath may not return after she has graduated, but she said she hopes to make it a fall tradition.

“It definitely put me in a fall mood, so I’d definitely go back next year,” Konrath said.