Costumes scare up school spirit

Rob Sheehan, a senior in ACES, in costume as a football player on Sunday. Erica Magda

By Erica Yuenger

Halloween is only a few days away, but it is not too late to come up with a costume.

And what better way to celebrate on campus than to put together a lastminute costume inspired by the University?

Josh Jones, freshman in Business, shopped at Dallas & Company, 101 E. University Ave., Champaign, Sunday to see what the shop had to offer and get ideas for his own costume, he said.

As a freshman, Jones said he does not know what to expect for his first Halloween on campus, but looks forward to celebrating with friends.

“I am interested to see what kind of crazy things people come up with,” Jones said.

He said if he were to put together a University-themed costume, he would be the Chief, despite the mascot’s official dismissal.

Ann Jun, junior in LAS, said she is not sure what she is going to be for Halloween, but plans to look at Dallas & Company for a costume.

Jun said if she were going to be something related to the University, she would be the Alma Mater.

“I would probably just wear all green, like the color of the Statue of Liberty,” Jun said.

Sarah Fresen, junior in Business said many people forget they can put together cheaper costumes at Goodwill Industries, 1102 N. Prospect, Champaign.

“I think a lot of people just go to the costume store and say ‘Oh, this looks slutty,'” Fresen said.

Both Fresen and Jun said their favorite part about Halloween on campus is the costumes.

“People come up with the most creative costumes,” Fresen said. “It’s awesome.”