Dad’s weekend falls on Halloween

By Ellyn Newell

Dad’s weekend only comes around once a year, as does Halloween. This year the trick is figuring out if and how to incorporate a father figure into your ghoulish celebrations. While some students are opting to stay inside this year, others are taking full advantage of the opportunity and getting their dads involved in the festivities.

Meghan Simonetti, sophomore in AHS, is embracing the chance to spend this weekend with her dad. Frank Simonetti is a University alumnus and is looking forward to coming back to relive his college experience this Halloween weekend.

“I want to spend time with my daughter, and it will also be a great atmosphere to come back to on Friday,” Simonetti said.

Many of Simonetti’s college friends will be returning for the weekend as well. Because of this, the dads are having a unofficial costume contest among themselves and their daughters, he said. Meghan Simonetti’s father is dressing as Howie Mandel, from “Deal or No Deal,” and she will be dressing as one of the models who opens the briefcase on the show.

“Originally my dad wanted to be the model and wanted me to be the guy but I was like ‘Dad, lets try to be normal,'” Simonetti said.

Simonetti’s sorority rented out the basement of Kam’s, so she feels that the atmosphere will be different from an average Halloween weekend at the University.

“It’s awesome because I can spend time with my dad in a different way than I would have been able to any other weekend,” Simonetti said.

Tiffany Hall, junior in LAS, shares Simonetti’s enthusiasm as the weekend approaches. Her father will be dressing as Batman, and she plans on dressing as Alice in Wonderland. She said she is glad her dad is coming down a night early because it gives her more time to spend with him. She is also very excited to see how his costume looks.

“His Batman costume is from like 20 years ago, so that will be interesting,” Hall said.

Hall plans on bringing her dad to an apartment party so that they do not have to deal with the bar scene on Friday night. She also wants to stay away from Green Street after hearing about the gun threat that has been made.

“It’s really a matter of staying safe at this point,” Hall said.

While Hall may be staying away from the bars on Friday, Eric Meyer, the owner of Kam’s, does not think business will be a problem. To him, this weekend is more than just costumes and Dad’s Weekend, it’s about profit. Meyer scheduled the Kam’s Halloween party on Thursday night and thinks the majority of the revenue Kam’s brings in from the weekend will have to do with the Iowa game and Dad’s Weekend, which are usually both high-grossing weekends.

“You say Iowa, and it’s like saying revenue,” Meyer said.

So whether it be a trick or treat, win or lose, with dad or solo for the night, there will certainly be a different feeling on campus this weekend.