What to do with your leftovers?

Brennan Caughron

Brennan Caughron

By Marie Wilson

Reasons for eating

For college students trying to eat on a budget of money and time, leftovers can be a simple and quick solution, said Stacey Krawczyk, research dietitian, who works in the instructional kitchen at the Activities and Recreation Center.

“Leftovers are an easy option,” said Samantha Weiss, senior in ACES and volunteer for Krawczyk. “Especially with finals coming up.”

Stacy Vucich, junior in LAS, is cooking for herself for the first time this year after living in a dorm and her sorority house. Vucich said she and her roommates planned on taking turns cooking for each other, but found themselves too busy to make that plan work.

“I try to bring back as much as I can whenever I go home because my mom cooks better than me,” she said. “If I had the time, I’d love to cook and make nice meals, but I just don’t find the time.”

Rachel Palkoner, president of Cooking Club and senior in LAS, said she actually cooks more often when she is busy with schoolwork, because she needs to take a break from the stress of assignments.

“I don’t really rely on leftovers,” she said. “It’s just a nice treat.”

Ways to use safely

Keep leftovers cold while bringing them from home to school, do not just throw them in a bag

Eat refrigerated leftovers within three to five days

Put leftovers in the freezer, and they can last until the end of the semester

Remember to consider nutrition, not just getting rid of leftovers

Ideas for leftover turkey

Dice up leftover turkey into canned soups

Mix turkey with cheese and salsa on a whole grain tortilla for a quick quesadilla or put it on your favorite bread to make a grilled “Panini” sandwich using a table-top grill

Mix turkey and prepared rice with your favorite low-fat cream-based soup and top with cheese for a quick and satisfying casserole