Helpful hints for keeping resolutions

By Emily Bardales

Exercise

Students can work out on their own for free at CRCE or ARC after showing their i-card. For those interested in specific exercise classes, campus recreation offers a daily pass for $10 or a pass from Feb. 15 to May 15 for $118.

Campus recreation also offers personal trainers.

Do better in school

“First, resolve to ask yourself why you need to make that kind of resolution and figure out what changes you need to make,” said Julian Parrott, director of the division of general studies. “Talk to an advisor before classes begin, reassess your schedule, resolve to go to class as well as office hours, manage your time.”

Save money

“Creating a budget is probably the most important thing,” said Lois E. Smith, consumer and family economics educator for the University. “Plan how much money you plan to spend each week and don’t allow yourself to go over that amount.”

The University Extension Web site offers programs to help create a personal budget.

Eat healthy

The Campus Recreation Instructional Kitchen offers classes on cooking healthy. It’s taught by Stacey L. Krawczyk, a registered dietician.

Students can also choose healthier options while eating out.

Shirley Camp, nutrition and wellness educator at the University’s Macomb Extension Center and registered dietician, made the following recommendations:

• Follow the food pyramid: mypyramid.gov
  • Eat plenty of fiber
  • Balance calories taken in with the calories expended
  • Eat a variety of foods
  • Have a colorful plate
  • Make sure to include dairy foods
  • Use low fat cooking methods
  • Choose foods and beverages low in sugar and sodium