Syllabus Week: Ways to fill the free time

Catherine Novak of Hoopeston, Ill., gives a Tarot card reading at The Office in Urbana. Erica Magda

By Ellyn Newell

Majoring in architecture does not give Maria Nikolovski, sophomore in FAA, much downtime.

“I feel like I’m always in the studio or at class,” she said. “It’s nice to have a little break to do things I actually want to do.”

Syllabus week, the first week of each semester, is a period of increased downtime and gives students a week free from exams, papers and homework. This extra time can be spent lying in bed and watching television, but it also can be used to sample some of Champaign-Urbana’s attractions.

“Sometimes you forget that there are things going on outside of Campustown,” Nikolovski said.

Tuesday

What: Tarot Readings: Catherine Novak welcomes questions about love, life, careers, health and business at only $15 for a 10-minute reading.

Where: Carmons: 415 N. Neil St., Champaign

When: 5-9 p.m.

Wednesday

What: Open Ice skating: The rink that the Illini hockey team calls home is open to the public every Wednesday night. Everyone is welcome and no experience is necessary, said Ally Curtis, ice arena employee and sophomore at Parkland College. The rink is also open for public skating sessions Monday thru Friday 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., Friday 7:30 to 10 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday 1:30 to 4 p.m.

Where: Ice Arena, 406 E. Armory, Champaign.

When: 7-9 p.m.

Thursday

What: Beginner Yoga classes: These free classes are geared for beginners and offered as an opportunity to overcome stress and learn meditation. There is also a class offered in the Illini Union from 5 to 7 p.m. on Wednesdays.

“The classes are taught to help people experience inner peace and inner calm, increase sense of vitality and refresh physical vitality,” said Dada Madhuvidyananda, the instructor of the class.

Where: Ananda Liina Yoga Center, 2308 N. Highcross Road, Urbana

When: 6-7 p.m.

Friday

What: Russian National Ballet Theatre presents “Sleeping Beauty”.

Sergei Radchenko, the ballet’s principal dancer, has ensured that the grand tradition of Russian ballet is upheld in the company’s presentation of “Sleeping Beauty.” It costs $23 for students.

Where: Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, 500 S. Goodwin Ave, Urbana

When: 7 p.m.-midnight.

Saturday

What: David Lippman Counter-Intelligence Cabaret Comedy Theatre: There will be parodies on popular culture and a bevy of wisecracks. The satirical songster will be slamming “sweatshops, S.U.V.s, and wars fought to defend sweatshops and S.U.V.s.,” said Nicole Pion, outreach and development adviser. It costs $12 at the door.

Where: Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center: 202 S. Broadway #100, Urbana

When: 8 p.m.