Ebertfest to screen ‘Everybody Wants Some!!’ for free at Foellinger Auditorium

Richard+Linklater+poses+for+photos+at+the+Texas+Film+Awards+Red+Carpet+on+March+12%2C+215+in+Austin%2C+Texas.+%28Jeff+Newman%2FGlobe+Photos%2FZuma+Press%2FTNS%29+

TNS

Richard Linklater poses for photos at the Texas Film Awards Red Carpet on March 12, 215 in Austin, Texas. (Jeff Newman/Globe Photos/Zuma Press/TNS)

By Christine Pallon, Staff writer

On Tuesday, Ebertfest will bring director Richard Linklater’s latest film, “Everybody Wants Some!!,” to Foellinger Auditorium for a free screening followed by a Q&A with executive producer Stephen Feder and actors Glen Powell and Juston Streetmk. Doors open for the 7 p.m. screening at 6:30 p.m., with the Q&A following immediately after.

Linklater last made headlines in 2014 with the ambitious “Boyhood,” the coming-of-age epic that chronicled the life of a young boy from age 6 to 18mk. Filmed in real time over the course of 12 years, “Boyhood” garnered significant critical attention for its groundbreaking style, earning six Academy Award nominations as a result.

“Boyhood” saw Linklater pushing boundaries, whereas “Everybody Wants Some!!” marks a return to his comedic roots. One of Linklater’s earliest efforts was 1993’s “Dazed and Confused,” a nostalgic blast to the past that chronicles the last day of school for a group of Texas high school students in 1976. “Dazed and Confused,” which is often credited with helping launch the careers of Ben Affleck and Matthew McConaugheymk, was not an initial commercial success, grossing less than $8 million at the box office during its original runmk. However, like many of Linklater’s films, it has become a cult classic.

“Everybody Want Some!!” is something of a “spiritual sequel” to “Dazed and Confused,” according to Rolling Stonemk. Although Linklater made the films nearly 23 years apart, they each tell similar coming-of-age stories steeped in nostalgia.

In contrast to the ‘70s high school setting of “Dazed and Confused,” “Everybody Wants Some!!” takes place in the fall of 1980 and follows Jake (Blake Jenner)mk, a college baseball player in Texas, as he adjusts to a life of new-found freedom during his first few days at college. Jake moves into a house with his fellow teammates, which include McReynolds (Tyler Hoechlin), Jay (Juston Street) and Finnegan (Glen Powell)mk. Over the course of a few days, Jake is introduced to a life of partying, women and the joys of being young and living in the moment.

“Everybody Wants Some!!” is just one of many diverse films headed to C-U this week as part of Ebertfest during its 18th year.

The first formal event of Ebertfest takes place on Wednesday, April 13 with a screening of “Crimson Peak,” mkfollowed by a Q&A with director Guillermo Del Toro (who also directed “Pacific Rim” and “Pan’s Labyrinth”)mk. Tuesday’s pre-festival screening of “Everybody Wants Some!!” offers a free taste of the festival to the campus community prior to its formal opening.

The rest of the festival’s screenings will take place at the historic Virginia Theatre in downtown Champaign, and tickets are available with a discount for students.