HumansofUIUC spreads diversity and inclusion awareness on campus

By Anuar Escutia, Contributing writer

The University is the largest university in Illinois, with about 44,880 students enrolled. There are a multitude of races and cultures represented in the student body, yet minority students can often be overlooked.

Last year, economics student Christelle Panumpabi took the initiative to start an Instagram page spotlighting the unique and valuable differences in all people around campus. One short story at a time, Panumpabi alone has been able to promote inclusiveness and multicultural awareness for her followers on the page, similar to the page “Humans of New York.”

“I love being about to hear stories of where people come from and difference aspects that make them who they are. I love how diverse our university is and I wanted to be able to create a platform where I could share this diversity with anyone and everyone through social media,” Panumpabi said.

That’s what HumansofUIUC is offering to its current 1,168 followers: Some insight into the accomplishments and struggles real humans face on a daily basis. It is also making followers more aware and understanding of others and increasing inclusiveness in society, where everyone is equal.

Madison Gillespie, an advertising student who was interviewed by Panumpabi, said, “I just thought it was so cool the girl who interviewed me saw something in me that she thought was cool enough to talk to me about. It’s nice to be recognized.”

HumansofUIUC recognizes something in all kinds of people, showing the beauty that there is to each of them.

“I know about the Humans of New York, and I think this page is a great idea because I like this movement. We are such a diverse campus, so it’s good that someone started it here as well,” Gillespie said.

In the future, Panumpabi plans to turn the page into a registered organization. Panumpabi said she hopes the club will better both the diversity and inclusion on campus.

“I have thought of making HumansofUIUC a club on campus. We could possibly have photographers and editors and a team to go out and find these cool stories,” Panumpabi said.

Panumpabi said the club would help capture the uniqueness of each person, and hopes the growth of diversity and inclusion will make the world a better place.

“Hopefully in the near future, something like this can actually happen on our campus,” Panumpabi said. “But for the meantime, it’s really just me.”