University RSO She’s the First contributes to global cause

By Mega Bradley, Staff writer

Students are given educational tools through the University, which many people in developing countries do not have easy access to.

One RSO on campus is working to make a difference in girls’ education overseas and to help bridge the divide of gender inequality.

She’s the First serves as a nonprofit on campus, working to raise money for girls in low-income countries to help receive scholarships and continue on with their education.

There are 10 countries She’s the First currently operates in, including Peru, Ethiopia, Kenya and India.

“The meaning of the name is that (these girls) are often the first in their families to graduate from secondary school,” said Catherine Steegmueller, junior in LAS and president of She’s the First. “All of these countries only have about 33 percent of their girls enrolled in secondary school.”

Nationally, She’s the First has over 100 campus chapters. The campus chapter at Illinois has been an RSO for about five years and is smaller in size, allowing for a close-knit community among members.

With members of She’s the First as a united front, Steegmueller said anyone is welcome, and encouraged, to join in supporting girls’ education.

The fundraising for the RSO is done mainly through bake sales, with goods made by She’s the First members or through restaurant fundraisers on campus, according to Mona Ng, senior in LAS and co-fundraising chair of She’s the First.

Ng joked that sometimes, members consider themselves to be part of a baking club by joining She’s the First because of all the bake sales hosted.

“This year, we are sponsoring two girls. Jayshree is in third grade from India and Nohemí is from Peru,” Steegmueller said.

She added that She’s the First works all year to raise enough money for these girls to further their education.

Members of She’s the First recognize the importance of supporting girls’ education past secondary school. The girls they sponsor frequently only reach high school as a higher education option.

The impact on-campus chapters of She’s the First have on the girls they sponsor can be felt by its members.

Ng said that during meetings, members read handwritten letters from the girls She’s the First sponsors for them to afford books, room and board and tuition.

“Personally, the most important part of the organization is being able to see how these girls are so ambitious and wanting to continue their education instead of assuming to the social standards in their area,” Ng said.

Typically, the social standards in less developed countries are for girls to either support their families or to get married young. These standards do not allow for girls to obtain a higher education.

She’s the First works hard to ensure girls like Jayshree and Nohemí have a chance to break the social norms in their countries and succeed on their own.

“Women represent almost two-thirds of the world’s illiterate and only 1 in 5 girls in developing nations will finish primary school. Getting more girls educated will give them the chance to live a healthier life, delay marriage and childbirth, secure a better job and earn higher wages,” Steegmueller said. “It’s all about giving them the best chance to succeed in life.”

She’s the First members are given the chance to see how they make a difference firsthand, baking treats for fundraising and to be part of an RSO enabling members to get to know each other. Steegmueller said this was one of the reasons why she wanted to join the RSO.

Students often join She’s the First because they believe in the message spread by the nonprofit and want to make a difference in girls’ education.

By having the opportunity to directly sponsor young girls, She’s the First members are given the chance to see the direct impact they have on these girls’ lives.

“I find it somewhat empowering that these girls, from being sponsored, are able to reach their goals. Many come from low socioeconomic backgrounds along with pressure from their families to start work at a young age to be extra hands,” Ng said. “But, as they go through their education they will be able to have more opportunities for work, instead of marrying early or something else.”