Here to help: Gamma Chis and sorority recruitment

Daily Illini File Photo

Potential new members head into Foellinger Auditorium to meet with their recruitment counselors before receiving their official sorority bids.

By Sam Schrage, Staff Writer

There’s nothing quite like the sound of sorority chants and mobs of girls running from house-to-house that welcomes students back to campus each fall.

This fall, over a thousand girls will go through the formal recruitment process to hopefully join one of the 19 sororities on campus. 

During the month of September, potential new members will go through six rounds of recruitment, where they will talk to existing members at each house to familiarize themselves with the sisterhood, philanthropy and culture of each sorority. 

However, potential new members do not have to go through the recruitment process alone. They are guided through the recruitment process by a select group of volunteer recruitment counselors, known as Gamma Chis.

Gamma Chis are in charge of everything: walking the girls to each house, answering questions and even making sure they have band-aids for blisters. Above all, Gamma Chis are a friendly face to the potential new members, who may become overwhelmed during the recruitment process. 

Although being a Gamma Chi can be a big responsibility, it can also be rewarding, as Gamma Chis are able to bond with potential new members and help them find a sorority that will become their home away from home.   

“I just thought the idea of helping potential new members through the process of recruitment was super appealing because it would give me a completely new perspective of recruitment,” Sarah-Kate Weibel, junior in LAS, said. “Also, I thought it would be very cool to build more personal relationships with the women going through rush and helping them feel comfortable throughout the process.”

For Jill Barrere, junior in LAS, becoming a Gamma Chi had sentimental value for her. Barrere said the process was something she became interested in after her mom shared her story of serving as one at the University years ago. 

“She would always talk about how it was her favorite part of college and how she could easily see me doing it as well,” Barrere said. “Sharing that experience with her and other women on this campus really intrigued me because it is so unique to only those who go through it.” 

A unique part of being a Gamma Chi is each woman must disaffiliate from her sorority.

During the formal recruitment process, Gamma Chis are required to separate themselves from their chapter as much as possible, so they can properly assist the potential new members during the recruitment process.

This includes rules like not wearing sorority apparel, cleansing their social media of anything sorority-related and having minimal interactions with chapter members.

Being disaffiliated can be a challenge at times, but it’s a way for Gamma Chis to bond with women outside of their own chapter and learn more about the Panhellenic community.

“I already have learned so much about all of the chapters in class, and it’s great to see all the different things these chapters bring to campus in terms of philanthropy, sisterhood and community,” said Elizabeth Kelly, junior in Media. “The Panhellenic community has taught me so much about friendship, and I am so grateful to have gained so many friends, both inside and outside of my own chapter.”

One of the most important goals Gamma Chis strive to achieve is to make potential new members as comfortable as possible.

For many potential new members who are new to campus, Gamma Chis are some of the first people they will meet and rely on as they transition to college and the recruitment process.

“I hope the PNMs gain a sense of comfort because that’s what we’re here for. I hope they can feel confident and comfortable enough to speak with us on a real level, not one where they are afraid to say what they really feel,” Barrere said. “This process is emotional! It’s so important that the encouragement is there for them.”

Barrere, Kelly and Weibel all agree that the best advice they can give to a potential new member is to keep an open mind and to be themselves. Although each chapter has its differences, they are all part of a larger community.

“We all share similar values and goals” Kelly said. “Just being part of the Panhellenic community offers you so many opportunities to grow in terms of leadership opportunities, networking and helps to make this large campus feel a little smaller.”