Food truck rally greets international students

Kenyon Edmond

Brian Chester, employee at Chester’s BBQ food truck, stands inside the food truck on Thursday. Food trucks have become part of the landscape of C-U, which international students can explore.

By Therese Pokorney, Features Editor

When Champaign resident Brian Chester started working at his son’s business Chester’s BBQ food truck nine years ago, he didn’t know he would be a part of the food truck frenzy in Champaign-Urbana. 

Chester said Chester’s BBQ food truck was the third food truck to come to Champaign-Urbana in 2010, the first being Derald’s and Cracked falling in as second. 

On Thursday, Chester’s BBQ was one of the six food trucks lining Goodwin Avenue during a food truck rally sponsored by International Student and Scholar Services from noon-2 p.m.

“(The rally) is for the international students’ meeting at the Krannert Center,” Chester said. “The (International Student and Scholar Services) said for us food trucks to come out along the street and once one food truck shows up, the others follow.”

Other food trucks present and catering to international students were Hawaiian Shaved Ice, Piato Cafe and Dragonfire Pizza. 

Chester said he brought a trailer instead of the actual food truck because he was expecting a smaller crowd. However, he brings the larger truck to other events in the area. 

Locals and University students alike can expect food trucks to show up at festivals, markets, The Land Connection Champaign Farmers’ Market on Tuesdays and Urbana’s Market at the Square on Saturdays.

On campus specifically, students can regularly find trucks on Springfield and Mathews avenues in Urbana and in front of the Krannert Center for Performing Arts.

Kshitij Vijayvargia, freshman in Engineering, said he was looking forward to trying the food trucks after attending the chancellor’s Welcome Reception in the morning. 

“My roommate told me about the food trucks, so I decided to tag along,” Vijayvargia said. “This is my first time trying a food truck at the University, but I used to go to them in my home country, which is India.”

Vijayvargia said the food truck rally is an extremely convenient idea for students in a hurry.