Filipino Culture Night embraces community on campus

By Koumae Adams, Staff Writer

Music filled Latzer Hall on Sunday in the University YMCA as people crowded in line for food. Tables filled with family and friends were accompanied with “kamayan,” a traditional Filipino feast, as part of the Filipino Culture Night hosted by the Philippine Student Association. 

According to its officials, PSA was expressed as an association committed to creating a safe space for students to grow and learn about Filipino culture.

The event took place from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and also included various activities to engage attendees, such as traditional Filipino performances, Filipino food vendors and games. 

Kamayan is Tagalog for “hands” or “by hand” and is a traditional Filipino method of eating. It is most commonly recognized as a feast of a variety of food such as rice, fruit, fish and rice noodles spread across green banana leaves.

Slides presenting the history of Filipino culture were displayed to inform participants of all backgrounds. 

Joaquin Lainson, president of PSA and senior in LAS, expressed satisfaction toward the number of attendees throughout the day. 

“Turnout is going really well,” Lainson said. “A couple of hundred people have shown up, which is really great for our first time in-person FCN for years, so very exciting.”

The event’s activities had no fees and were open to everyone. Food ranged in price depending on the item.

“PSA members, students, community members, parents and moms came today,” Lainson said. “So, it’s really a chance for anyone to explore Filipino culture and their food.”

Sophia Pizarro, vice president internal of PSA and junior in LAS, believed the event was significant toward expressing and sharing her culture with friends and family.

“FCN, or Filipino Culture Night, coincides with mother’s weekend,” Pizarro said. “So, I was able to introduce all of my friends to my parents, my brother and mom.”

Challenges presented themselves regarding the planning of the location of the event, according to Pizarro. 

“Unfortunately, because of the weather, we did have to move our entire event indoors,” Pizarro said. “Whereas we were going to have it outdoors on the (Main) Quad where passersby could come and interact with our activities, performances and food.”

Pizarro said seeing positive interactions between attendees was her favorite part of the event. 

“The highlight of the event was seeing everybody enjoy the food while watching the performances,” Pizarro said. “And just hearing everybody laugh and getting to see people that see each other every day in class being brought together by PSA.”

Avery Luciano, freshman in FAA, brought her sister and mother to the kamayan portion of Filipino Culture Night.

“It’s nice to be gathered over food,” Luciano said. “I feel like it’s a good way to bond.”

Lainson described the association as a community for people to explore their identities comfortably. 

“We really try to give people a space just to explore and to thrive and FCN is one of those places where members or non-members can learn more about Philippine culture or other Asian cultures,” Lainson said. 

Pizarro described PSA as a safe space for all.

“There have been issues in cultural clubs or just any other clubs in general where people will gravitate towards them for a social hierarchy,” Pizarro said. “Whereas for us here in PSA, the people are really passionate about learning the language through Tagalog classes or learning how to dance a traditional Filipino dance.”

For more information about PSA, visit their website.

“We usually throw a lot of larger events specifically for our general body,” Pizarro said. “And we haven’t really got the time this year to really take a step back and appreciate the work that all of our officers have done and also appreciate our community that is there for us. So, being able to have free performances and serve them food is really letting us give back to the community.”