Raise the bar for Homecoming with UI’s signature drink spots

Candice Zhou
Customers wait in line at Legends on Sunday afternoon. Legends serves a an excellent location to visit during Homecoming week for drinks.

As alumni, parents and all other visitors visit the University’s campus once again to celebrate Homecoming, people may begin to wonder which bar is right for them.

Out of the many to choose from, each bar has its own distinct atmosphere to accommodate someone’s drinking needs.

Joe’s Brewery

The glowing neon sign located on East Green and South Fourth streets leads everyone to the land of promise: Joe’s Brewery. 

With multiple levels to the bar, Joe’s can be described as multifaceted. The different areas are known as the main bar, the dance bar, the side beer garden, the main beer garden, the second-floor deck and the upstairs bar, according to an employee at Joe’s.

One can sit outside and have a more relaxed experience, while others can be in the middle of the dance floor with groups of friends.

There is a large variety of areas for everyone, from alumni to undergraduate students. The kitchen will be open Oct. 20-21 starting at 5 p.m. The game will be streamed to go with everyone’s burgers and beers.

As a continuation of Homecoming tradition, Joe’s will host merchandise giveaways and will have a custom collectible Homecoming pint glass available at select times this weekend.

Murphy’s Pub

The well-known and historical Murphy’s Pub sits in the heart of Green Street, waiting to fulfill your Homecoming needs. 

If someone is not looking for a dance atmosphere, Murphy’s Pub may be the place to go. Murphy’s Pub has daily food specials that will carry on throughout the Homecoming weekend. 

With booths and tables on the main floor, this bar could be the prime spot for football-watching and socializing. Past the bar and down the stairs are pool tables and other activities for customers to enjoy.

The bar also has drinks to support the Illini spirit, such as the pub’s blue and orange drinks. Along with the University-themed drinks, Murphy’s Pub will stream the game.

Check the bar’s social media for any event updates. Daily deals are updated outside its restaurant window. 

Legends

The iconic orange and blue detailing of the outside of Legends on East Green Street holds memories in the heart of most Illini, and its sporty ambiance could be a top contender for a Homecoming bar. 

Legends may be a recognizable sports presence on campus for many students. The tables and booths on the main floor also make the bar a good spot for studying, socializing and having a more relaxed evening. Behind the tables and the bar are an outdoor section and pool tables.

Currently, Legends is selling Autumn Mules, its seasonal fall drink. The bar will stream the game and will have the kitchen open until 9 p.m.

Updates about Homecoming deals may be available on Legends’ social media.

KAMS

East Green Street houses a place of joy, laughter and chaos, mostly referred to as KAMS. 

KAMS contains both social and dance atmospheres. The main floor holds seating, the main bar and an outdoor area, all capable of high- and low-energy interactions. Up the stairs leads to another bar and a completely outdoor rooftop area. 

KAMS sold Homecoming-themed merchandise from Oct. 19-21 for alumni and Homecoming enjoyers. With decades of hosting students, alumni and residents on campus, KAMS may be a recognizable spot for all. 

There are drink deals throughout the week, and updates about events, deals or other special programming are frequently updated on KAMS’ social media. 

The Red Lion

The Red Lion is hard to miss with its unique architecture on the corner of Green and Third streets. This bar is a popular location for many undergraduate students, which may be due to its variety. 

With a dimly lit indoor area, Red Lion’s ambiance is hard to beat. Although most areas of the bar may be seen as slightly less social, it does not dismiss the opportunity of bringing friends to hang out. 

The outdoor section of the bar has multiple tables to hold drinks and can be seen from outside of the bar through a gate. With music playing throughout the building, many people create a dance-friendly atmosphere. 

Special drink deals are common during Illinois game days. Deals, events and giveaways are frequently posted on Red Lion’s social media.

Brothers Bar & Grill 

Brothers Bar & Grill is a newly opened two-story establishment with lively music, pool tables, plentiful seating and a growing fanbase. Among campus bars, Brothers Bar & Grill best combines the chill atmosphere of Legends and Murphy’s Pub with the bright sensory experience of KAMS.

Brothers, a nationwide chain that serves primarily college town audiences, inhabited its previous location at 613 E. Green St. in Champaign before its unexpected exit in 2020. The bar was a beloved campus haunt for generations, and its return in September was celebrated by many campus community members.

The new spot on the block features signature 32-ounce pitchers of unique cocktails, classic bar fare, beers on tap, ice-cold canned domestics and a quirky atmosphere.

Although Brothers Bar & Grill has yet to publicize any specific deals for the weekend, those interested in paying a visit to the resurrected hangout can watch its Instagram page and website for deals throughout Homecoming week.

Illini Inn

Established in 1970, the Illini Inn contains a more laid-back atmosphere for those not keen on a high-energy bar experience, like Joe’s, KAMS or Red Lion. 

The establishment sits further away from the rest of the bars at 901 S. Fourth St. The bar often streams Fighting Illini games and could be a great spot to sit at the bar and have a bite to eat.

One of its long-standing traditions is the Mug Club. It costs $10 to participate and requires prospective Mug Club membership holders to complete a challenge to become an official member.

Updates about specific Homecoming events, deals and programming may be available on the Illini Inn’s social media. 

l[email protected]

li[email protected]