Pasar Malam to showcase Indonesian heritage at UI

Photo courtesy of Indonesian Student Association
Indonesian Student Association members gather around a table in the University YMCA during last year’s traditional night market on Nov. 5, 2022.

Get ready for a night of traditional Indonesian food, dance and games at the University YMCA. PERMIAS, also recognized as the Indonesian Students Association, will hold a traditional night market event this weekend called Pasar Malam. 

Pasar Malam will take place on Saturday from 5-9 p.m. It is free entry to participate in games and to view performances. Students can buy food tickets for $5 and there will also be free samples while supplies last. 

Scott Abednego, sophomore in Business and the event organizer, said this event is for all students to attend.

“This is an opportunity for us to branch out,” Abednego said. “We also want the Indonesian community to meet other people. Essentially, this is a gathering event.” 

Pasar Malam has been an annual fundraising event for PERMIAS, allowing them to keep the club functioning to hold subsequent events. The group hopes the other registered student organizations will also be able to garner funds from the event. 

“We’re trying to make this event an opportunity for other RSOs to have fundraising,” said Aisha Tanjung, junior in ACES and the current PERMIAS president. “For us, we are essentially using our profits to make the next event.”

Abednego stressed the importance of events similar to Pasar Malam.

“These things help keep our RSO running,” Abednego said. 

The event will consist of various activities, as well as performances showcasing traditional Indonesian dance and culture. 

This year PERMIAS will co-host the event with the Hong Kong Students Association, the Philippine Students Association and the Association of Food Technologists. 

“Since we’re inviting other RSOs from different countries to our event, we want to get to know and make bonds with them,” Abednego said. “This is the first time we’re having an event together.”

There will be several booths selling student-made Indonesian entrees, drinks and desserts, while also including foods from the other RSOs. Aneka Market, a traditional Indonesian restaurant based in Chicago, will be catering the event as well. 

“We try to make each booth have different specialties so that everyone can get a taste of something,” Tanjung said. 

The full menu is available on the club’s Instagram page, @permiasuiuc. 

Tanjung hopes this event will educate people about Indonesia and bring together different students’ cultures. 

“We want (people) to know the Indonesian culture and to introduce them to it … It’s just kind of a fun thing to introduce to people,” Tanjung said.