NAMI-UIUC helps students find mental health support

Lux Lin

Suicide prevention has been at the forefront of many institutions and individuals alike, and for the students at the University, it’s no different.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness, or NAMI, is the nation’s leading voice on mental health today. With well over 600 local affiliates and 49 state sponsors, the organization has made great strides in advocating and protecting the mental health of as many people as possible. 

The University has partnered with the NAMI to become an RSO on campus. NAMI-UIUC provides access to mental health professionals and counselors for students to utilize if they need them. 

During the spring 2024 semester, they have partnered with local nonprofits and mental health organizations to host three educational seminars free to the public. 

According to Logan Koltz, Vice President of Event Coordination and graduate student in Accounting, the objective of these seminars is straightforward. 

“The overall goal, I think, is to further spread the cause of, ‘Hey, we have this phenomenon in our society of suicide,’” Koltz said. 

Recognizing the prevalence of suicide is only part of the equation — prevention is equally crucial. 

“Every person matters to someone …  and we should have the wish to aim for the goal of preventing it in our society,” Koltz said.

Although Koltz has not personally grappled with mental health challenges, he acknowledges the gravity of the issue and is committed to offering assistance wherever possible. 

“I don’t think this is all about me at all,” Koltz said. “I’ve seen firsthand some of the ways that it affects people and how mental health affects people, and so I wanted to be a part of raising awareness of mental health and suicide prevention as well.”

Koltz was the one who originally suggested the seminars in the first place. The NAMI-UIUC executive team was immediately on board and began working to bring the suggestion to fruition.  

After setting the dates March 6, April 1 and May 1, and getting three speakers on board, Koltz and the rest of NAMI’s team began publicizing the seminars in all the ways they could think of. This included taking to social media and reaching out to news outlets, other mental health-related RSOs, nonprofits, churches and Greek life as well. 

Koltz said the talks have been a success so far. Two out of the three talks have already taken place, each having around 100 members of the public present. While thankful for the high turnout, Koltz said the impact is felt regardless of numbers.

“If even one person came to hear the talk, then I think that’s a success,” Koltz said.

Along with the speakers, NAMI-UIUC provides licensed counselors, police officers accompanied by a therapy dog and other professionals from the crisis response intervention team. 

The third and final talk will take place on May 1 at Mumford Hall, room 103.

For those in crisis or seeking support, please refer to the Suicide Hotline for assistance. Further information is available here.