What we’ll miss from campus in the upcoming year

Anna Fedczuk

As the spring semester draws to a close, students are ready to leave Champaign-Urbana and enjoy their summer break — a time when students don’t have to worry about projects, assignments, exams and discussion boards. 

But as much as we hope students will enjoy their deserved break, the campus won’t be the same as they left it when they return. The Daily Illini is here to wrap up the year with a list of places and people who are permanently leaving campus after the 2023-24 school year.

The Illinois men’s basketball team

The Illinois men’s basketball team has had one of its most successful years with its Big Ten championship win and Elite Eight finish. However, some key players who contributed to this success are leaving Illinois. 

Fifth-year guard Terrence Shannon Jr. will leave the Illinois men’s basketball team, concluding his two years in Illinois. Over those two years, Shannon played a major role in leading the team into victories, receiving numerous recognitions, such as “Most Outstanding Player” for the 2024 Big Ten tournament, and leading the team in scoring.

Senior forward Coleman Hawkins will also leave Illinois for the 2024 NBA Draft. Junior guard Luke Goode and redshirt junior forward Dain Dainja will depart, as they recently announced their entrances to the transfer portal. 

All players thanked the Illini nation for their unwavering support and the fans who made the experience unforgettable. Although their leaving saddens many Illini, we wish them all the best in their future endeavors. 

The original Maize Mexican Grill

The original Maize Mexican Grill, located on First and Green streets, will be closing in June due to the building’s demolition decided by the property owner. Ever since Maize’s opening in 2011, owner Armando Sandoval had been informed by the property owner that the building is prone to demolition at any time. 

Despite this, the restaurant managed to survive for 13 years. Maize’s closing announcement was disheartening even more as it was awarded this year’s Best of CU award for Best Mexican Food. Even though the original Maize is closing, students can enjoy the Mexican grill in the basement of the Illini Union and the food truck.

Residence Hall Libraries

All University Housing’s residential libraries will close as of July 1. When students return for the fall semester, borrowing books and games will no longer be available at the Ikenberry Library and the ISR Library. 

The libraries previously allowed students with an i-card to easily borrow an item for a specified amount of time without a charge. Despite the convenience the libraries bring for students, students will now have to look for alternative places to meet their academic and enjoyment needs.