UI Horticulture Club digs up second annual plant fair

Lucas Sun
A mother and daughter explore the plants at the plant fair, which took place during the University’s Moms Weekend.

The University Stock Pavilion was once again teeming with life for the second annual spring plant fair, hosted by the UIUC Horticulture Club. From sunflowers to tomatoes, the event boasted over 2,000 plants, all grown by club members. 

Coinciding with Moms Weekend, the spring plant fair took place on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The free event showcased plants grown by the Horticulture Club and other plant-based student organizations such as Illinois Field and Furrow, the American Society of Landscape Architecture and the Bonsai Society. Most of the plants were up for sale to the public, but others were put on display. 

Amy Bour, sophomore in ACES and public relations manager for the UIUC Horticulture Club, described the event as a space to support the environmental clubs on campus.

“We’re giving them an opportunity to showcase their stuff … like a quad day but make it green,” Bour said. 

The fair also offered several workshops for people interested in learning more about plant care from experts. The workshops were held periodically throughout the day in a partitioned corner of the Pavilion. 

“They’re basically all very educational, but also give you an opportunity to take that education and apply it yourself,” Bour said.  

Event-goers were invited to participate in a “community seed swap” where people could bring unwanted seed packets and trade them in a take-one, leave-one format. 

Plant growers could also sign up to participate in a plant contest. Six winners received varying prizes, with the grand prize being a hydroponics grow system. 

The fair appeared to be a popular Moms Weekend event, with many students bringing their mothers out to shop for plants. 

Katie Hartke, junior in LAS, and her mother Amy Hartke both said they enjoyed coming out to the fair. 

“This is our second time; I made sure to get here earlier so we could get better plants but it was great,” Amy Hartke said. 

Katie Hartke said she liked seeing the plants other college students had grown and thought it was a great way to learn about what is going on in the club. 

The pair gathered several flowers and vegetables to plant in their small home garden. 

“I think it’s a great way to get started on your garden,” Amy Hartke said. 

Overall, Bour said she thought the event was very successful, having sold out their sunflowers within the first few hours. 

“I’m just glad we’re able to provide a space for all sorts of plant lovers, both beginning and experienced, to come and indulge in all the plants,” Bour said.