Champaign contributes to Haiti relief

Several Champaign organizations are working to contribute to Haiti relief.

Amara Yoga & Arts held a benefit on Jan. 24 at the Amara center in Urbana to raise money for the victims of the Haiti earthquake

According to a press release from Amara Yoga & Arts, the event raised $1,575 for UNICEF and Haiti relief.

The press release stated the benefit had a series of free yoga classes that were open to all levels and by donation.

The release added that Jesus Ballivan and Jessica Hajek, graduate students in the Center of Latin American and Caribbean Studies at the University, were at the event to answer questions about Haiti and relief efforts.

“We are fortunate to be part of such a generous and caring yoga community,” Theresa Brandabur, studio director at Amara, stated in the press release.

Haitian Christian Outreach and First Christian Church of Champaign have partnered to collect and send supplies including peanut butter, dry pasta, baby bottles, Tylenol, and medical gauze to Haiti. Financial donations are also being collected at First Christian Church on Feb. 6 and Feb. 13 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. All donated items will be shipped to Haiti over the next few months.