Feminist forum encourages students to think differently

The Women’s Resources Center and the campus YWCA will be holding a dialogue and panel discussion on the topic of abortion on Monday, September 27, 2010 at 7:30 p.m. at the McKinley Foundation.

According to a press release, it is the organizer’s and panelists’ hope that the C-U community will look at this program as a unique opportunity to dig into the complexities of reproduction, to question the narratives presented to us, and to challenge one another to seek understanding

“There are so many issues that play into this one topic. We hope the panel can show the complexity of the issue because each panelist has their own background and experience,” said Hannah Ihms, graduate student in Chemistry.

The panelists include Reverend Rebecca Turner of Faith Aloud, Sally Williams of Urban Life Matters, UIUC professor and author of “Before Abortion was a Crime” Dr. Leslie Reagan and Dr. Katherine Loutrel of Carle Clinic.

Ihms said she hopes that students can be respectful of each other and listen to others’ ideas that they have not thought of before.

“It’s more of a discussion than a debate,” said Ihms.

A small resource fair will also be present at the event and will include pro-life and pro-choice resources (as well as general women’s resources) from the campus and local community.