Property owner objects to Landmark designation

Discussion amongst Urbana City Council members will continue after a month’s delay at Monday’s regular meeting concerning the historic landmark designation of the Urbana-Lincoln Hotel, 209 S. Broadway Ave.

Despite the Historic Preservation Commission’s recommendation that the hotel be designated, the property owner, Marine Bank — Springfield, has formally objected to the submission of a registered preference against the designation.

In order to add incentive for investment in the property, which a broker has been trying to sell for the past several months, the city council is considering writing an agreement that would offer a financial package with various provisions. One of the provisions would include owner support of the landmark designation.

“We’re looking for people that might be interested in renovating,” said Robert Lewis, Ward 3 Council member.

Landmark action will likely be deferred until the agreement is looked over by the prospective owner. The decision could be delayed until the Dec. 13 meeting.