Champaign Police announce 4 finalists for next chief of police

Champaign Police announced Wednesday that four finalists had been selected in the search for a new police chief. The finalists will be interviewed between Dec. 7 and Dec. 9, and the public will have a chance to talk to them Dec. 8.

The finalists are Gregory Anderson, chief of police for the Oak Forest, Ill., Police Department; Anthony Cobb, assistant chief of police for the Urbana Police Department; Antoinette Filla, lieutenant colonel for the St. Louis Police Department; and Kim Johnson, captain for the East Lansing, Mich., Police Department.

According to a release from the city manager’s office, the finalists will be interviewed by 24-member advisory panels made up of community members, local law enforcement officials, Champaign Police employees and the city staff. The panels will make reports to City Manager Steve Carter, who will make a final decision.

Community members will get a chance to meet the finalists at an event called A Conversation with the Candidates in Champaign City Council chambers at 7 p.m. on Dec. 8. The meeting is being sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Champaign County, the NAACP and the American Civil Liberties Union. The Champaign Human Relations Commission and the Champaign Community and Police Partnership, or CCAPP, are also sponsoring the event.