Helping support single parents

By Frank Krolicki

Adding parenthood to the high-pressure environment of classes, work and a social life might make finding a balance next to impossible. But with growing resources provided by organizations on campus and off, single parents may find some relief.

One of these resources is the Single Parent Network (SPAN), a campus organization designed to provide support for single parent students and community members.

Angela Clark, adviser and coordinator of SPAN, said one resource provided is study halls every Sunday from 3 to 6 p.m. at the African American Cultural Program.

“These allow students who are single parents the opportunity to study in a quiet place without having to watch their kids,” Clark said. “Child care is provided.”

Clark said SPAN is currently in a rebuilding phase but that many other events are planned for the future. These include meetings where single parents can discuss their problems and work out solutions. Guest speakers this coming semester will address issues such as child discipline and stress. Eventually, Clark plans on organizing field trips so members can get to know each other, she said.

“Many of the people involved last year graduated, so we’re in the process of getting new members and then providing many other resources in addition to the study halls,” she said.

Marita Anderson is a single parent and sophomore in ACES. She said she became involved with SPAN last semester and was excited to hear of its coming developments.

“It will be great because it will provide a lot more opportunities for single parents and their children to meet and have a relaxing time, which is something that can be hard to do on your own,” Anderson said.

The Single Parent Scholarship Foundation (SPSF) in Urbana began in 2000 and partnered with SPAN in the spring. It offers scholarships and counseling to single parent students in the area.

Maria Thompson, president and founder of the non-profit foundation, said she started it because she had been a single parent going through college and wanted to make more opportunities available.

Thompson said it was crucial for both SPSF and SPAN to first identify the single parents on campus because many might not know where to turn for assistance.

“If a student comes here with a child from out of town to go to college, chances are they will not know where to go for help,” she said. “The main goal is to make them aware.”

Marcia Martinez, graduate student and single parent, said she wanted to see a more comprehensive support network among single parents.

Martinez, Anderson and Clark mentioned that they would like to see more forms of non-traditional child care provided on campus.

“Usually child care goes from nine to five, and a lot of times exams and other important events are later in the evening,” Martinez said.

Anderson said she would like to study at the undergraduate library, but is afraid she will cause disruption by bringing her child. She said that if child care were provided in situations such as this, it would be much easier to get class work done.

Clark said she hopes to raise awareness of SPAN resources.

“The most important thing is just making sure single parents know these resources exist,” Thompson said. “If they do, they will be much better equipped to overcome the barriers they have to face.”

More information is available at http://www.omsa.uiuc.edu/span.