Lawyers gather at Union

By Kate Gleason

More than 100 law schools from across the country were represented Thursday at the annual Law School Day in the Illini Union.

The event was held in Union rooms A, B and C from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and gave prospective law school students a chance to see what each school has to offer.

Sharon Cox, University Pre-Law Club secretary, was one of the event organizers and has organized it for the past three years. Cox said about 500 or 600 students turned out for the event in years past.

Jessica Gugger, senior in communications and member of the Pre-Law Club executive board, also helped organize the event.

“This is one of the biggest in the area,” she said. “People come from all over to be here.”

Matt Lucas, freshman in engineering, said he attended the event because he wants to be a lawyer someday.

“Even though I’m a freshman, I figured it’d be a good idea to come and ask what some of the different schools are looking for,” he said.

Lucas said he was “amazed” by the number of schools represented.

“I’m very impressed by the selection,” he said. “I had no idea there would be so many here.”

Tonishea M. Terry-Jackson, a recruiter from the John Marshall Law School in Chicago, said in her experience, Law School Day has been a great place to meet students and answer questions.

“U of I students are among our favorites,” she said. “They are generally well-qualified and fit in at John Marshall.”

Terry-Jackson said the admissions office at John Marshall looks for serious students who work hard and are great writers.

“We want someone who has strong analytical skills,” she said. “But really there is no particular major or particular background they have to come from. We want to build a class that is both competitive and diverse.”