‘Buycott’ helps women invest in their future

By Megan Loiselle

Thousands of women all over the world will leave their checkbooks and credit cards at home today, taking part in a national “buycott” movement for women to use their purchasing power more effectively.

The buycott was organized by 85 Broads Global Network, a group of more than 4,000 women who have set up the program to mentor one another. By not spending money today, the group hopes to “underscore the importance of investing in future generations of women,” according to its Web site. To represent the money that would have been spent today, 85 Broads will donate $12,000 to Room to Read, an organization that will work with 85 Broads to build a new school in Vietnam.

The group’s organizers said their goal is to “no longer buy the glacial pace of economic change for women.”

Part of the group’s mission statement points out that women control $3.3 trillion in yearly consumer spending, which is about 44 percent of national spending. However, there is a gap between their purchasing power and economic status. There are only eight female CEOs in the Fortune 500, and women hold less than 15 percent of all board positions, according to 85 Broads’ Web Site.

Darren Lubotsky, a University economics professor, said women do make up a large proportion of the purchases in the home, though he doubted the effectiveness of the “buycott.”

“Lots of groups make the mistake of not buying something like gas on a particular day,” Lubotsky said. “If women don’t go shopping today, it will only rearrange when they buy the products, not how much money is spent overall.”

Lubotsky also said the “buycott” will only create a hassle for women who planned to shop today, and now will shop tomorrow.

Kristen Reid, senior in applied life studies, said she received an e-mail about the “buycott” from a friend and forwarded the message to every woman in her address book.

“Women buy everything,” Reid said. “We spend so much of the money, but we still live in a male-dominated society.”

Pat Morey, program director in the Office of Women’s Programs, said she was not aware of the “buycott,” but thought it was a good idea.

“It’s a good idea to show that women matter and are a part of the economy,” Morey said.

For more information, visit www.85broads.com