Bitter cold weather brings students winter blues

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Molly Rafter

As the harsh winter weather continues, students are trying to keep themselves active to avoid the potential onset of seasonal depression.

According to the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) Web site, some people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). The disorder, which occurs during fall and winter months, can cause gradual or sudden depression.

Symptoms of SAD include daytime fatigue, oversleeping, weight gain, decreased sexual interest and social withdrawal. These symptoms often dissolve when spring arrives and stay in remission through the summer months.

According to NAMI, SAD most often affects women in their twenties, but men also report symptoms.

Dave Song, freshman in LAS, said he could see how the season can affect people.

“I find my energy level is lower during the winter months because other people’s low energy brings me down,” Song said.

“A lot of people don’t go out because of the cold weather,” said Victor Medina, senior in LAS. “I think that a lot of people have less money during the spring semester and that it deters them from going out to the bars and from leaving their residence.”

Many students at the University try to shake the winter blues by staying active. Medina said students on campus find fun things to do while staying in.

“So many people get into watching the Illini basketball games on TV,” he said.

Medina also said he enjoys staying in and watching movies with friends during the cold winter months.

Kevin Casey, sophomore in LAS, said the cold winter months have given him an excuse to practice his guitar more often.

“I started playing my guitar more since I’ve gotten back to school because I have more time to stay in,” Casey said.

Casey also said the cold weather has drawn more people to Intramural Physical Education building (IMPE) to play basketball and get into shape.

“It gets really hard to get a basketball court in the winter at IMPE because it’s too cold to play on the limited outdoor courts here,” he said. “I’m on an intramural racquetball team for my house and it’s a lot of fun.”

But some students brave the outdoors despite the cold weather.

“I like to go on walks during the winter months,” Song said. “I love being with nature.”

Alicia Kuhnke, freshman in LAS, said the winter helps her appreciate the other seasons.

“The cold weather doesn’t bother me that much because it helps me look forward to spring and summer,” Kuhnke said.

Medina also said he enjoys spending time outdoors in the winter because it allows him to get involved with winter sports.

“Winter can be very entertaining. I love skiing and snowboarding,” he said.

Song said staying active during the winter months can help shake the winter blues and the potential onset of SAD.

“When you find those people that will go on a walk with you, you realize that life is meant to be enjoyed, no matter how cold it is,” he said.