Mayor candidates to appear at forum Tuesday

By Nate Sandstrom

The three candidates running for mayor of Urbana are set to appear at a candidate’s forum at 8:00 p.m. on Tuesday. The event is scheduled to be televised by WILL.

The candidates are incumbent Tod Satterthwaite, who was elected mayor in 1993, Laurel Prussing, who has served as a state representative, a Champaign County Board member and Champaign County auditor, and Shirley Hursey, who has served on the Urbana Human Relations Commission.

The primary election is Tuesday, Feb. 22; however no Republican has registered to appear on the ballot as a mayoral candidate for the general election on Tuesday, April 5.

Voters registered in Urbana’s Fourth, Fifth and Seventh Wards will also be able to vote for Democratic city council nominations. No Republicans are opposed in the primary in any ward.

Champaign residents who are registered to vote in Champaign City Council Districts 1 and 3 will also be able to vote in the primary for city council candidates.

Any registered voter can vote in the primary, except for those who signed a petition for a Republican candidate to appear on the ballot in this election, said Champaign County Clerk Mark Shelden.

Polling stations will be at the same location as they were in November, he said.