Basketball shmasketball: Non-basketball fans choose not to jump on bandwagon

By Kate Kostal

Lately, on the night of a men’s basketball game, if you missed the live version you can easily find someone who saw it to tell you what happened. Unless you talk to Jacob Angel.

“I’ve never really been that interested in the idea of sports in general, and basketball isn’t exactly my favorite sport,” said Angel, a senior in LAS. “I really don’t get it. Some guys throw a ball into a hoop for a few hours. Thanks, but I can do that with bad poems and a garbage can.”

He doesn’t spend time scraping cash for tickets or watching games on TV. Angel somehow also finds time to do homework and “procrastinate” and engages in other hobbies and activities like writing, drawing, reading, playing games and drinking.

“I pray for losses so I can have my beer in peace,” Angel said.

Shocked? Don’t be. Despite the popularity of the men’s basketball team, there are bound to be people who don’t care. Many other students share Angel’s lack of interest in the basketball team, though others celebrate the success while immersing themselves in their own lives.

“I’m too busy doing my homework,” said Shannon Box, a junior in LAS.

“I really don’t know why I never became interested in it. Maybe it’s just because my TV sucks? I like to rebel against the norm,” said Becca Reimel, a sophomore in ACES.

Reimel has not seen a game but is happy that there is a current basketball craze, saying that “it’s about time people stop dissing U of I,” and she wishes the team success and to continue “kicking butt.”

There’s a slew of Illini out there that have never seen a game. If you would like to join their ranks, they have their own group on thefacebook, a Web site that connects students within their universities and with other schools.

“My brother actually brought it to my attention after it was featured in another article, and I decided I had to tap that,” said Rachel Tybor, a sophomore in LAS.

“I just joined it because I truly haven’t watched any basketball games. My friend is always asking me, ‘Did I watch the game?'” Box said. “Actually if it wasn’t for her I probably wouldn’t have known our team was doing so well.”

With the recent success of the team, the idea of people simply jumping on a bandwagon to support something positive is brought up in contrast to the fans that have always been there.

“The die hard fans are the people who really deserve credit, because they have been with them through thick and thin,” Reimel said.

“So what, our basketball team should get all the support they deserve,” Box said of people jumping on the Illini basketball bandwagon.

“I think they’re ridiculous,” said Shannon O’Laughlin, a freshman in ACES. “People just want to fit in with their peers. To jump on the bandwagon for anything is foolish, but I think doing it just to cheer on a team that happens to be good at the moment is absurd.”

Either through lack of interest or lack of time, these rare students can be found on campus mixed in with the rest – their passions lie elsewhere, and you probably won’t be able to find out the winning score from them anytime soon.