Other Campuses: Experts provide tips for wedding etiquette

By Kanses State Collegian

(U-WIRE) MANHATTAN, Kan. – As the spring months approach, many couples are busily preparing for the biggest day of their lives: Their wedding day.

Planning a wedding can be stressful, but it’s no excuse for bad manners. Brides and grooms should keep wedding etiquette in mind when planning their big day.

Jenne Andrews, owner of Premiere Events in Manhattan, N.Y., offered some advice to couples to prevent them from committing the biggest etiquette blunders.

– Don’t make guests pay for things. Many couples look for ways to cut corners on their wedding and a common tactic is to go without an open bar at the reception. Andrews said couples should offer free drinks, as well as a cash bar, at the reception.

“Not everyone can afford to have a full cash bar for everybody,” Andrews said. “But at the same time, they should offer a wine or beer or punch that’s complimentary so people don’t feel like they have to pay for all of their drinks.”

Theknot.com offers the suggestion of having an open bar for only an hour before switching to a cash bar.

– Don’t get too out of control with the registry. Registering for gifts is arguably one of the things couples look forward to most when they get engaged, but that doesn’t mean they can get completely carried away.

Andrews said couples need to remember that not everyone’s financial situation is the same, and not every guest will be able to afford $50 pieces of silverware.

“They should always have a variety of prices, so that people who want to give what the bride and groom request, can,” Andrews said.

Registering at different places is another suggestion. Andrews said couples should choose some nicer stores as well as department stores such as Target.

– Don’t advertise the registry on the invitation. According to theknot.com, it’s never polite to requests gifts from people, including at weddings. Andrews said that while registry information is okay on a shower invitation, it’s not okay for a wedding invitation.

“It’s considered a little more tacky on the wedding invitation,” Andrews said. “If people want to know, they will ask the parents or the matron of honor or even the bride and groom themselves.”

– Lacey Storer

– Don’t keep guests waiting. Guests can get cranky if they are kept waiting. Scheduling extra time between hair appointments, meals and whatever else before the ceremony can prevent running late.

The same goes for post-wedding events. Couples choosing to take their pictures after the ceremony should take no longer than an hour, so guests don’t have to wait a long time for the reception to begin.

Andrews said guests can get turned off when they have to wait.

“What happens is that when the party does finally start, they want to leave right away,” Andrews said.

– Don’t forget to pay for services rendered. While some people who are directly involved with the ceremony may not charge a fee, like the officiant, it’s considered proper etiquette to pay them.

Rosie Rundell, pastoral associate for Seven Dolors Catholic Church, said couples usually give monetary gifts to the priest and others participating in the service.

“We ask that they contribute something (to the church),” Rundell said. “They usually give monetary gifts.”

There are numerous things couples can’t control on their wedding day, but their behavior isn’t one of them. Having proper etiquette is one way to help ensure the wedding day will go smoothly.