International education week begins tomorrow

By Acton Gorton

The University’s third annual International Education Week begins tomorrow, featuring art shows, concerts, talks, movies and auctions for students, faculty and the community.

Most of the 50 events are free and open to the public, but some events – such as the concerts – might cost money.

“This is a cross-campus initiative that is created to show diversity of international events and resources around campus,” said Allison Walter, interim director of international engagement and protocol for International Programs and Studies.

Students interested in working on an international level may find the International Career Workshop useful. From 4 to 6 p.m. each day in the Heritage Room in the ACES Library during the upcoming week, students will have an opportunity to speak to non-governmental organizations, banks and businesses. Panelists and representatives will be present to help students choose career paths and build networks.

The Japan House will host the Simple Elegance Auction on Feb. 27 to raise funds for its operations. According to the Japan House Web site, they will have “an auction of exquisite kimono, works of art, Japanese collectibles and other treasures, for the benefit of Japan House at the University of Illinois.”

Two concerts will be held at the Krannert Center for Performing Arts, as well. The first will be a Japanese Kodo drum performance on March 1 at 7 p.m., and the second will be Imani Winds, a blend of European and African music, which will be held on March 6 at 3 p.m. Tickets are available for sale at the KCPA ticket office.

An international film festival will also take place at the Urbana/Champaign Independent Media Center, 218 W. Main St., in Urbana on Feb. 27 at 7:30 p.m.

Several lectures and discussions have also been planned. The Latina and Latino Studies program is hosting “Exploring and Challenging Fronteras in the Midwest and Beyond,” which will be held at 10 a.m. on Feb. 25 at the Levis Faculty Center. The Center for African Studies will be hosting a brown bag at noon on March 2, with the location yet to be decided – check http://hoth.ips.uiuc.edu/~durman/int-week05/calendar.php for updates.

On March 3, the Cosmopolitan Club will host a Russian coffee hour at 7:30 p.m. at 307 E. John St. in Champaign.

The Study Abroad office is organizing an event called Kaleidoscope on Feb. 28 and March 1-4 for the local community. The event will be held at the Douglas Community Center, 512 E. Grove St. in Champaign, at 4 p.m. University students who have traveled abroad, paired with international students studying at the University, will give presentations to children. The students will bring articles of clothing, teach the children songs, show flags and play games with them. Also, the students will give presentations to adults at the Provena Behavioral Health Center on March 1 at 10:30 a.m.

The events will extend through March 6, when an international foods dinner hosted by the University YMCA, 1001 S. Wright St., at 6 p.m. brings the International Education Week to its closing.

Walter likened the events planned to the University’s Quad Day because of the contribution from cultural, ethnic and international student organizations combined with academic departments, including the Study Abroad and Foreign Languages departments.

“It’s nice to have a particular forum period designated that reaches beyond the confines of the University and extends into the community,” said Stacy Coleman, event liaison from the Study Abroad office.

“This is a great opportunity to bring lots of organizations and associations on campus together,” said Beth Bailey, event liaison for the Center for Global Studies. “Since the world is becoming a global community, this reinforces everything.”

For a Full List of Events…