Show choir sings to celebrate 10 years

By Kiran Sood

Cutting Edge, a University show choir, is presenting its 10th anniversary show, entitled Cutting Edge’s Excellent Adventure, at 8:30 p.m. at the Lincoln Hall Theater.

The show is the first in a series of events planned for alumni and current students over the weekend in honor of its 10th year of existence. Cutting Edge alumni are flying in from all over the country to celebrate the anniversary.

The University a capella group No Strings Attached will be the opening act for the two-hour show. The show choir will then perform 10 group pieces, a 20-minute long medley, as well as eight smaller pieces featuring solos, duets, and small dance groups.

Nikki Gaebler, a senior in applied life studies and the soprano section leader, said tonight’s concert would be unlike anything they had ever done. She said the program would be geared toward the alumni in the audience.

“The idea of the show is that we go back in time to get songs from the past ten years of Cutting Edge … which are all spliced together for a huge medley at the end of the show featuring those songs from past years,” she said.

Liz Martin, a three-year member of the choir and alto section leader, said Friday’s program would be a great showcase of all their work this year.

“We have been working very hard all year, and for many of us, for several years, to work up to a show of this magnitude,” Martin, senior in FAA, said. “For me, this show is the culmination of three years of blood, sweat, and tears – with quite a lot of fun in between.”

Martin said this concert will be memorable for everyone involved.

“I’m excited to see my older friends who are coming to town just for the show, and I know there will be many memories both relived and created this weekend,” she said.

Emily Chesworth, member of the choir and a student choreographer for the program, also said she is very excited for the program as well as the events planned for the rest of the weekend.

“I feel so excited about this show because it will be one of the largest productions Cutting Edge has pulled off yet,” Chesworth, senior in business, said. “It will be so rewarding for all of the members because we have worked so hard this year and are looking forward to showing the alumni and our friends and family what we have accomplished.”

Chesworth said that this concert holds special meaning, because as a senior, this will be one of her last performances.

“It will be emotional for the seniors, as there are many of us graduating this year and some members cannot return next year for other reasons,” she said. “We hope and encourage that the younger members who are returning will keep the Cutting Edge tradition alive.”

Gaebler said that the audience is in store for an unexpected yet enjoyable program.

“When people hear ‘show choir,’ I don’t think they realize what Cutting Edge is,” she said. “It isn’t jazz hands and super cheesy songs, it is so much more modern and appropriate for a college audience. The show is going to be clever, witty, and very entertaining.”