Students celebrate Last Blast at Six-Pack

By Harini Ganesh

A chilly wind sent the smells of popcorn and barbecue around the Six-Pack courtyard as the six-hour Last Blast party for students took off Sunday afternoon.

A live band played in one corner where a stage was set up and students strolled around the courtyard, eating cotton candy or popcorn. Volunteer Tyler De Shon, freshman in LAS, encouraged people to try out the obstacle course, where students raced each other up a climbing wall, crawled through a tunnel and slid down a slide. Across from him, Joanna Mabee, sophomore in LAS, zipped people in large inflatable plastic bubbles in which students could roll around.

The Scott Hall Council and other hall committees organized the fifth-annual Last Blast at the Six Pack. Preparations have been going on all semester for the event since early February. The staff had arrived at 11 a.m. to set up for the event that began at 2 p.m. The event was established to give students a fun and relaxing atmosphere before exams begin.

“It’s kind of like a celebration at the end of the year, (used) to relax before finals,” said Katie Barbour, sophomore in LAS.

Barbour was part of the committee that planned and organized the event. All the activities held at Last Blast were paid for by the Scott Hall Council, which raised money and got other hall committees involved with the event.

“A lot of money came from the halls – pretty much all the halls could contribute and we got it,” Mabee said.

The council also received sponsorships from companies – such as Pita Pit, which gave gift certificates that were later raffled off at the event. Council members also held fund-raisers, such as penny wars, to increase council funds.

Another component of Last Blast was the music. The organizers had a stage set up for bands to perform live for students.

Bullet Called Life and Just Left, two bands from Green St. Records, were among the bands who performed.

“We knew a whole bunch of people who might be interested (in performing),” Mabee said. “Last year we had only one musical guest but this year, there’s more variety.”

Kael Shipman, freshman in LAS, lives in Scott Hall and his band, which has no name, was asked to perform.

“We were going to play a big set earlier in the year but we decided to do it here,” he said. “One of the RAs suggested that we should perform.”

A lot of help for the event came from the building service workers of the residence halls, who set up the chairs and tables for the event. Dining Services helped with setting up the dining area and agreed to do the barbecue dinner. Volunteers also helped with stands and events.

Last year, due to rainy weather, attendance was 1,500 people and most came for the dinner. This year, Mabee and the other organizers hoped for more.

At about 2:40 p.m., not a lot of people were at the event. De Shon watched the obstacle course and raced people who didn’t have a partner to race with.

“It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “Hopefully more people will show up.”

“We’re just trying to illuminate a great year,” Mabee said.