Krannert showcases concert bands

By John Ostrowski

The sounds of 20th century classical music filled the Foellinger Great Hall at the Krannert Center on Tuesday night as the University’s two concert bands performed their semester show.

At 7:30 p.m., the first conductor of the night, graduate student Sidney Shuler took the stage and concert band IIA performed “A Festival Prelude” by composer Alfred Reed.

The rest of the IIA performance mainly featured compositions from the last century, which included “Second Suite in F for Military Band” by Gustav Holst and “The Gridiron Club March” by John Philip Sousa, among others.

The conductors for IIA were Shuler and graduate student Daniel Neuenschwander, who each conducted two pieces, and guest conductors Timothy Hatcher and Timothy Phillips, both graduate students, who each conducted one piece.

Tom Robertson, a University alumnus from the class of 1978, was there to enjoy classical music as well as hear his daughter – flutist Katie Robertson, freshman in LAS – perform.

“My daughter has turned me into a fan of classical music,” he said, adding that he listens to it in his office to help him relax. He said he was looking forward to hearing the “Jupiter Hymn,” which was performed during the second act by concert band IIB.

After the intermission, concert band IIB took the stage, which was conducted by Timothy Todd Anderson and Reed Gallo, both graduate students who each conducted three pieces.

The performance closed with “Jericho Rhapsody” by Morton Gould, which was preceded by a short lesson from Anderson about Gould’s inspiration for the piece. “Jericho Rhapsody” was inspired by chapter 16 of the Book of Joshua, Gould said.

Neuenschwander said his favorite piece was the second one he conducted.

“My favorite was probably the suite in F,” he said, referring to Holst’s “Second Suite in F for Military Band.”

The only distinction between concert bands IIA and IIB is the time the class meets, Neuenschwander said.

Neuenschwander, who has conducted this band before, says that while the bands are not the only bands open to non-music majors, they are the most popular.

“I would say it’s 99 percent non-music majors,” he said. Neuenschwander said that most students in the concert bands would probably call the class somewhat of a stress reliever, and are probably looking for a way to continue to be involved in music.

“We’d always love to have more non-music majors,” he said.

Scott Banjavcic, freshman in engineering who plays alto saxophone in concert band IIB, agreed with much of what Neuenschwander said.

“It’s a good break from everyday classes,” Banjavcic said, adding that he is also in Marching Illini.

“I love music,” he said. “And the music program here is excellent.”