Campus rec remains busy over summer

By Alyssa Etier

Whether people want to lift weights, play basketball, get a tan or just play on a water slide, they can visit one of the campus’s recreational facilities. Offering several locations and activities, the Division of Campus Recreation remains busy over the summer months, despite the lower number of students on campus.

“We stay very busy over the summer, especially with the popularity of the outdoor pool at IMPE,” said Kristin Duitsman, assistant director of member services for the Division of Campus Recreation. “During the summer there are usually a high number of students on campus that have more time… or maybe they just make the time.”

Some students, however, find it difficult to use the campus recreation centers because of cost. Students enrolled in less than five hours for Summer Session II must pay $53 to use the facilities.

“Our dues are enough,” said Jesse Taylor, senior in LAS, while referring to the University fees that do not include access to the campus recreation centers.

According to Tim Slazinik, student director at IMPE and a senior in FAA, the campus recreation membership is cheaper for students who did not have it included in their tuition.

Despite the additional charge, many students have reactivated their campus recreation memberships. This gives them access to IMPE, Campus Recreation Center East (CRCE), Kenney Gym, Freer Hall and the outdoor complex fields, which are all open during the summer.

The use of the campus recreation services increased last spring with the reopening of CRCE. The facility, which closed in 2002, tries to accommodate a wider range of people. While IMPE remains the main facility for free-weight lifting, CRCE has a laid back atmosphere for both fitness and recreation. The facility also offers a convenient location for students on the east side of campus.

“Students have responded well,” said Duitsman about CRCE. “In general, they walk in for the first time and are impressed by the newness and the openness of the building.”

The reopening of CRCE encouraged some students to start working out. Adam Jania, senior in LAS, and Taylor said they did not use IMPE for weightlifting, but now come to CRCE because it is “closer, cleaner, nicer… has fewer people” and “it’s a beautiful facility.”

While most students come to IMPE or CRCE to work out on their own, others hire one of the campus recreation centers’ personal trainers. Students who do not want to pay for a personal trainer can get a free health assessment by the SportWell Center to analyze the status of their body and to determine which weights to use.

On top of using courts, tracks, weights and cardio machines, students can take a variety of classes at the campus recreation centers. Classes include pilates, yogalates, belly dancing, treadmill workouts and cycling. It costs $3 to take a group fitness session or $30 for an unlimited sessions pass.

“From what I’ve noticed, about the same amount of people are buying passes,” Slazinik said. “People are more willing to because classes aren’t as big. They can experiment to see what they like.”

Although CRCE has reopened, the outdoor pool and other IMPE services will remain open during the summer. During the fall, renovations will begin on sections of IMPE in order to finish the changes by 2007.