MTD expansion causes local debate

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Mary Rickard

The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District’s bus service could soon be extended to southwest Champaign. But some residents are not happy with the idea.

Residents of southwest Champaign met with the MTD’s Board of Trustees to discuss their concerns about the proposed extension of service to their neighborhoods. More than 150 residents attended the meeting late Monday night, Aug. 29, at the Sinai Temple, 3104 West Windsor Road.

Some of the arguments made by residents compared the tax on real estate for the MTD to the tax on tea that ignited the American Revolution. The owner of a $150,000 home in southwest Champaign would pay $117 more in taxes per year if it were annexed by MTD.

MTD’s board is not elected and is unaccountable to the communities. Scott Tapley, a southwest Champaign resident, spearheaded a petition drive to block MTD annexation and to create a separate transit district for his area. He obtained more than 1,000 residents’ signatures. A referendum for establishing a separate transit system with an elected board will be voted on, on March 21, 2006 by Champaign residents. Tapley said he did not agree with MTD’s assessment that a 25 percent decrease in automobile traffic would be achieved through the extension of bus routes.

“We don’t have a congestion problem here,” Tapley said.

MTD Board Chairman George Friedman said MTD’s goals include providing access to the elderly and reducing traffic.

Many residents said they support the concept of mass transit but objected to expansion because they perceive MTD mismanages funds and resources by operating almost empty buses on infrequently traveled routes.

“We cannot keep supporting a system that is wasteful,” said Champaign resident Steve Holland. “It is very rare that we might have to use a bus.”

Jullian Frankenberg, a resident of the subdivision Rolling Acres, asked members of MTD’s board if they had reviewed the specifications of the buses before the bus orders were placed. Frankenberg characterized the size of buses as “monstrous” and suggested smaller buses and vans would be more appropriate to the needs of the subdivisions.

Barb Schwartz, an Ironwood resident, said she is worried MTD’s large buses will endanger children playing in her neighborhood.

Ed Vaughan, Lincolnshire Fields subdivison resident, called MTD’s information sheet a “spin document,” that distorted the facts. MTD’s fact sheet quotes a 1991 public transit study conducted by The Clean Air Alternative stating that mass transit emits 95 percent less carbon monoxide – half the carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide than automobiles per mile.

“There is no bus that emits less fossil fuel than an automobile.” Vaughan said.

Lisa Busjuhn, a Champaign resident with a disability that prevents her from driving is concerned about the environment.

“I’m talking about how serious the oil situation is,” she said. “Using MTD to get to work instead of cars is one way we can be more responsible in the way we live.”

Several residents favor increasing bus service and changing the scheduling.

Anita Lawrance, who lives in subdivison Glenshire located on the west side of Interstate 57, said there is no public transportation available to bring her teenage son home from high school if he stays late for activities. He must walk a half-mile, crossing over the interstate on the overpass.

As a nurse, Lawrance said she is reminded daily that anyone might suddenly become dependent upon public transportation through illness or accident.

Jean Hadfield, a Champaign resident, became disabled recently and is a wheel chair user. She said her Lincolnshire Fields neighborhood lacks bus service, so she must take taxis to physical therapy appointments five times per week.

According to MTD, University students account for sixty-five percent of the ten million rides given per year. Students pay $38 per semester for a bus pass. Some residents of southwestern Champaign resent what they view as subsidizing the needs of University students. The Board of Trustees will meet Wednesday to decide whether or not to annex the southwest subdivisions, although many residents prefer that decision be postponed until a referendum is voted on in March 2006.

“Why should I pay for a University problem?” said Keith Wood, a resident from Ironwood.