Study Abroad deadlines approaching

By Christine Won

Deadlines are approaching fast for University students considering studying abroad in the next two years.

Sept. 23 is the deadline to apply for the upcoming winter break 2005 programs, and Oct. 1 is the deadline for the spring semester 2006 programs. Students wanting to study abroad during the Fall 2006 semester should keep in mind that the priority deadline is Dec. 15.

“Students should plan ahead as much as possible,” said Miriam Young, senior in LAS and peer adviser at the Study Abroad Office. “It’s never too early to start. Also for scholarships, the sooner you look at those, the better.”

Since some scholarships are due more than a year in advance to the start of a program, Young recommended that students considering studying abroad in the future should look into them now. The scholarship deadline for spring and winter programs is Oct. 13.

Monica Wedgewood, junior in LAS who studied in Italy, said that there are plenty of affordable programs available for students. The University also subsidizes some programs.

“There is something for everyone out there,” Wedgewood said. “If you’re worried about cost, there is a program in Turkey that’s one-fourth of the cost it is to go here. There are really cheap winter break programs that are just worth a plane ticket – under $2,000.”

Young said she understands that the application process can be daunting.

“I know that when you come into the office, it’s crazy,” Young said. “There are so many different colored papers everywhere, but basically, if you come in, a peer adviser is here to help you. We’re here as a resource, to help you with the administrative aspect.”

Advisers are available to help students research programs, fill out course approval forms for outside affiliated programs and talk students through the process, Young said. The office also refers students interested in specific programs to either advisers who had studied in those areas or area advisers.

Anna Reker, senior in LAS and lead peer adviser, said the Study Abroad Office also has area advisers – specialists in a particular region of the globe – who are willing to help guide students with a good understanding of where they want to go.

The office has other resources available for students, including informational brochures on affiliated programs and returnees’ comments. These tools are helpful if a student is choosing between different programs, Young said.

Wedgewood said that although the application process is long, the experience of going abroad is rewarding.

“It’s freeing – (the experience) makes you more independent, more capable,” Wedgewood said. “When you’re in a foreign country, you find out what you’re capable of doing.”

Young recounted how her friend once compared the study abroad program to a rubber band.

“It forces you to stretch yourself so much because you’re completely outside your comfort zone,” Young said. “I grew up 10 years in one semester.”

Scott Goode, sophomore in LAS, said he wants to study abroad in Israel because he has an infatuation with Judaism and Israeli history, but he’s not sure if the Study Abroad Office offers a program in Israel.

According to Reker, who studied abroad in Spain, there is no program in Israel. However, the list of countries with programs is growing. Just last semester, the office added a program in Sweden.

“The world is open to where you want to go,” Young said.