Campus confronts hate

Travis Austin

Travis Austin

By Teresa Sewell

Tensions observed by some at the University have caused departments across campus to organize programs that allow students to discuss controversial issues, where they would have been silenced.

Anti-Hate Week, is dedicated to providing the first step for those programs by educating people about oppression in all of its forms.

The Anti-Hate Series originated when the housing and residence department wanted to create an inclusive and safe environment for all students, said Khristian Kemp-Delisser, Assistant Director of the Office for Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender Concerns.

We are focused on bringing the community together and confronting hate and bias on campus, to send the message that it is not tolerated, Delisser said.

We want to bring diversity and social justice education to campus through a weeklong series, said Crystal Verdun, the resident director of Wardall Hall at Illinois Street Residence Hall.

There are some controversial issues on campus that affect students and they feel silenced because they do not know how to speak out or make a change, Verdun said.

She said this week’s series is an outlet to help those students that have felt that they wanted to help, but didn’t know how.

It’s not just focused on black, white, and Latino/a issues, but any form of oppression, she said.

“I want people to self-reflect… just step outside of their comfort zones and expose themselves to their own prejudices,” Verdun said.

Kemp-Delisser agrees that students feel silenced on campus because he said he has noticed that some Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered students of color don’t feel welcomed across campus, so they choose to not participate at certain campus events.

He said he goes out into the community to build relationships and visible networks with other departments so students can see safe areas on campus.

Wednesday, there will be a “Lunch and Learn” at La Casa, 1203 W. Nevada St., where students are provided with free lunch and a lecture by Professor Richard Rodriguez.

The topic will be “LGBT issues within the Black, Latino, and Asian Communities.”

Delisser said he hopes all types of students will attend the program and have a discussion so students within the LGBT community can feel they have allies outside of their circle.

“It’s not just a passive way of dealing with hate,” Kemp-Delisser said. “These are programs that encourage people to talk to one another and generate a conversation and challenge their thinking.”

Verdun said in light of the racial tension surrounding the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts that the Anti-Hate series came just in time. She said people see things on television and don’t realize that it happens in their own communities.

“(The series) is a perfect bridge between the media and some of the things that are happening on campus,” Verdun said.

Kameron Daniels, a multicultural advocate and junior in LAS, said that the housing faculty has been persistent in getting students to attend in a phone interview.

He said the great aspect about the series is that it doesn’t persuade people to pick a side, but rather shows students what’s happening and lets them work it out for themselves.

He said he is excited about the showing of the movie “Crash” at the Union Tuesday because the movie encourages people to think about how people are treated based on race, culture and their beliefs.

After watching a movie like that, people begin to analyze themselves and ask, “Do I act like that too?” said Daniels.

Award winning director Brent Scarpo speaks to students in his “Journey to a Hate-Free Millennium” series, and spoke last night at Allen Residence Hall.

Tonight, Scarpo will host an interactive workshop, entitled “Why do you hate me?” where he will discuss self-hate and how it is projected onto others.

Crystal Womble, a former student of the Champaign-Urbana school system, who attended during the desegregation era, will facilitate a radio documentary panel on Thursday to educate people about her experience.

Kemp-Delisser said he hopes student’s come out to the events because any person could be targeted by hate. There is a range of differences among students that people don’t even realize.

He said another “Lunch and Learn” on Thursday at the African American Cultural Program will talk about how culturally sanctioned language is important because there are also ways that we may unknowingly hurt each other.

“I hope that this week is the beginning and that we continue (fighting hate). I’d like to see student groups start generating programs and workshops like this,” Kemp-Delisser said. “That will be the biggest sign that we have made an impact- when students start taking the responsibility upon themselves.”