Counseling Center hosts relationship workshop

By John Ostrowski

Today at 7 p.m., two undergrads will lead others in tackling the issue of addictive relationships.

The workshop, led by two students from the center, LaTanya Morris, senior in LAS, and Joseph Hammer, junior in LAS, is titled “Addictive Relationships: How Close is Too Close?”

The workshop, which is sponsored by the Counseling Center Paraprofessionals, is part of a weekly program hosted by the center that deals with problems students might encounter on campus. Past workshops include “Miles Apart but Close at Heart: Long Distance Relationships” and “Reach for the Sky: Academic Success.”

The paraprofessional program is the equivalent of a three-semester class, Morris said. The first semester focuses on building interviewing and active listening skills. The final two semesters actually put those skills to use. Students are required to do at least 150 hours of service at the University through various organizations.

The workshop will tackle mainly romantic relationships, but Morris said that addictive relationships are not limited to romantic relationships.

Morris defined an addictive relationship as, “An overwhelming dependence and preoccupation with another person.”

However, the definition will be further clarified at the workshop.

Morris believes that this problem needs to be tackled.

“It’s definitely an issue on this campus,” she said. “What we want to do with this workshop is … raise awareness.”

An-Phong Le, graduate student, agreed with the idea.

“I think it’s a good idea,” said Le, who has been in a relationship for two and a half years with Meagan Cahill, senior in LAS. “I think it could be a problem anywhere. … (It) depends on specific people.”

“With this age group, (addictive relationships) could be a problem,” Cahill said.

Morris said the workshop will touch on warning signs of addictive relationships such as “propertyism,” or trying to own a person, fear of being alone, and tunnel vision, where third parties can recognize that a relationship is addictive, but the people in it cannot.

“We’ll present ten steps for a healthy relationship,” Morris said. “Good communication is key. Make sure you take care of yourself.”

She also added that people should keep their expectations realistic and should fight fairly.

Le and Cahill said they try to maintain their independence in several different ways.

“We have some of the same interests … but we don’t exactly enjoy doing the same thing,” Le said. “It sort of forces separation.”

Having friends outside of the relationship that your partner may not share also helps, Cahill said.

Morris said the workshop would be structured to allow everyone to have his or her say.

“It’s going to be a lot of open discussion,” she said. “Hopefully they’ll take something from the workshop they can use.”