Agricultural Professor receives Gold Medal

By Erin Renzas

Carroll Goering, professor emeritus in the department of agricultural and biological engineering, received the 2005 Cyrus Hall McCormick-Jerome Increase Case Gold Medal Award.

The award, given by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, is granted for exceptional and meritorious engineering achievement in agriculture soil, said Carol Flautt of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.

Founded in 1907, the society is an organization dedicated to “the advancement of engineering applicable to agricultural, food, and biological systems,” according to their website.

“This award is one of our two Gold Medal awards and is considered very prestigious,” said Flautt.

Goering was selected as the winner because of his service and dedication to the field as an educator and as a professional, Flautt said.

“I have devoted my life to this profession. … To be recognized by people I really respect and admire is very special,” Goering said.

Goering received his bachelor’s degree from the University of Nebraska in 1959 and earned his masters and doctoral degrees from Iowa State University in 1962 and 1965. He went on to teach for eleven years the University of Missouri-Columbia, and then came to the University in 1977.

His research focused on engines and fuels, fluid power and site-specific crop management.

In the 1980s, Goering worked to develop bio-diesel, an alternative fuel source that can be made from soy beans, and helps with fuel injection and cleaner emissions. Recently, Congress passed legislation to promote the use of the alternative fuel.

Goering has also authored three textbooks, “Engine and Tractor Power,” “Engineering Principles of Agricultural Machinery,” and “Off-Road Vehicle Engineering Principles.”

Goering spent much of his career working on projects with individual students, said Alan Hansen, associate professor of agricultural and biological engineering.

“He really worked with students on a one-to-one basis and stimulated undergraduate research,” Hansen said.

Hansen and Goering have been acquaintances and colleagues for more than two decades. When Goering retired in 1999, it was Hansen who assumed his role in the department.

“(Professor Goering) has acted as a mentor and has given me guidance over the years,” Hansen said, adding that Goering and his hospitality were large reasons why Hansen chose to come to the University.

Now that Goering is retired, he restores vintage tractors in his spare time, and has recently finished restoring a 1926 Model-T Ford. He can be found most mornings in his office in the Agricultural Engineering Sciences Building, talking with faculty members and working on revisions for his textbooks.

“Well, they have coffee everyday at 10 a.m.,” Goering said. “And they have a very talented faculty, some of whom are in areas that are new to the profession, so it has always been a nice place to be.”