LGBT rallies for Coming Out Day

Online Poster

By Kiran Sood

Celebrating October as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transsexual month, and Oct. 11 as National Coming Out Day, students and organizations across campus rallied together on the Quad Tuesday.

A large crowd of people gathered in support as they listened to the stories and experiences people shared coming out.

Since the first National Coming Out day on Oct. 11, 1988, this day has been celebrated every year across the nation. The date was selected to commemorate the 1987 March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights according to the Office for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns.

Emily Kaffel, junior in Education and president of PRIDE, said National Coming Out Day brings awareness to the campus and community. The day is all about encouraging people to talk about coming out, she said.

“This event reaches out to people who are still in the closet,” Kaffel said. “It lets them know that they are not alone and that there are many others out there that have been through what they are going through.”

Dan Higgins, junior in LAS, and education chair for PRIDE, said that college is an especially important time for students to learn who they are.

“It is the beginning of a new age of independence for us,” Higgins said. “It is especially important that we embrace our identity, whether it is sexually or for any and all other issues.”

The purpose of the month and the day was largely to raise awareness and come together by celebrating various issues, Higgins said.

“By allowing people the opportunity to hear stories about people’s healthy and positive coming out experience, it gives them the chance to feel more comfortable about the issue themselves,” Higgins said.

Kaffel and Higgins staffed the PRIDE table during the day.

They handed out fliers, answered questions and provided visibility for the event. Kaffel and Higgins also encouraged everyone to come out on the Quad on Tuesday for what they called one of the most visible LGBT and Ally events of the year.

The event featured various guest speakers and entertainment, including Dr. David Gill, U.S. congressional candidate, ally and keynote speaker for the event. The current director of the Office for LGBT Concerns, Curt McKay, and the assistant director of the LGBT Office, Khristian Kemp-Delisser also spoke. Tiffani Crawford talked about her experience in the military and being kicked out of the ROTC because of her sexual orientation. Finally, Karen Bush, United Church of Christ pastor and ally spoke. There was also a representative from Parents, Family and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) and Entertainment by Angie Ibrahim.

Doug Parter, junior in LAS and political director of PRIDE, helped organize the rally on the Quad. The importance of National Coming Out Day is in the fact that it serves as a means to promote an openness and honesty for LGBT people, he said. The event is used as a way for heterosexuals who support LGBT people’s equality to show their support, he added. These people are known as Allies.

“Some LGBT people feel very shameful about being LGBT,” Parter said. “This event, especially when one factors in the presences of Allies, shows those people who have shame that there is nothing wrong with being LGBT. People support you as a LGBT person.”

Parter said he hoped the event created awareness and helped to ease the coming out process.

“Most importantly, I hope this event eradicates the need to be in the closet,” he said. “Eventually, I wish one’s sexual orientation and gender do not carry the significance and cultural stigmas that are currently attached to them. I think it is important to realize that while the media may portray LGBT people who are largely out to everyone, that is not the case in everyday life.”

In the long run, he said there is still a need to create awareness and to change the way LGBT people and their supporters are perceived.

Roy Saldana Jr., works at the Office of Minority Student Affairs and said that today’s event was important for the community. People should feel respected, and events like these help all individuals understand people who might be different from them, he said.

“There are many minority groups out there, and they all deserve equal representation,” Saldana said. “This is a great way for people to get to know others who are going through similar things. Underrepresented groups need advocacy, and this is a great way.”