Holiday Toy Drive brightens kids’ day

By Kiran Sood

As a way to brighten the spirits of local children, the Office of Volunteer Programs is holding their annual Holiday Toy Drive from Nov. 14 to Dec. 7.

Toys can be dropped off throughout the week between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the office in 277 Illini Union.

“Many student organizations are getting involved in the Holiday Toy Drive as well, organizing collections among their members,” said Stu Schaff, senior in Business and student affairs intern. “This effort is very important because these toys are going to kids who wouldn’t necessarily get any otherwise.”

Sara Gibbs, sophomore in LAS and coordinator of the Holiday Toy Drive, said the drive is a collaboration between many groups and agencies.

“We are running a campus-wide drive to collect toys, which are being donated to ten area agencies,” she said. “Some Greek houses are also being given drop-off boxes upon request.”

Gibbs said the drive collected more than 400 toys last year, and they hope to reach a goal of 500 this year. The organization that brings in the most toys will receive a free pizza party.

“It’s especially fun to hold this drive at this time of the year, when people are getting excited for the holidays and are in very generous moods,” Gibbs said. “By volunteering and helping others during these times, people are not only helping each other, but are helping to spread that energy of the holidays that makes it such a great time of year.”

Swati Acharya, sophomore in Engineering, said she plans to take part in the drive.

“I feel that it is very important to help those who are less fortunate,” Acharya said. “Especially around the holiday time, it is nice to be able to extend a helping hand if possible.”