Katehi ‘perfect choice’

By Alyssa Etier

The Board of Trustees approved Linda Katehi, professor of engineering at Purdue University, as provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at the University during the board’s meeting on Thursday.

“I believe she is a perfect choice for Illinois,” said Chancellor Richard Herman. “She has accomplished much in her career, and we’re excited she’ll be joining us as a leader.”

As provost, Katehi will be responsible for the University’s budget and academic programs and will work with the deans of various colleges.

The Board of Trustees also approved Sarah Mangelsdorf as the dean of the LAS College, the University’s largest college and Robert Graves for acting/interim dean of the college of FAA. Mangelsdorf has been the acting dean for LAS and head of the psychology department. Graves is head of the theater department.

The University received authorization for the first step in renovations for Memorial Stadium. University President B. Joseph White said he is convinced the financial plan is sound and he expects to seek project approval in the spring. The plan includes a lowering of the field by five to six feet. In addition to other purposes, a lower field will make the first several rows of seats in the stadium usable, as they currently are not.

The University also received approval to employ VOA Associates of Chicago as the engineer for construction on the Intra Mural Physical Education Building, better known as IMPE. Construction on campus recreation centers began in 2002. The board’s approval will start phase two of IMPE’s construction and the completion of the project.

The board approved a project for library remote storage. The University’s library, which is the largest public library in the world, carries 10 million volumes.

“It costs over $1 million a year just to keep the current library up to date,” said Nick Klitzing, student trustee.

This project will move two million units out of the main library, 1408 W. Gregory Dr., and into a building on Oak Street.

Other building projects include renovations on Roger Adams Laboratory, 600 S. Matthews Ave., and the Pennsylvania Avenue Resident’s dining hall, which is a 50-year-old facility. The University will add a jazz performance major to FAA and lease University Court Apartments, 1107 S. Fourth St., to the Police Training Institute.

At the close of the meeting, White addressed the board on campus safety issues after the death of Sarah Channick, freshman in ACES, during the fall semester. The administration has been working with the mass transit district and city leaders.

“A lot of progress has been made, and actions have been taken to improve pedestrian safety on our campus,” White said.