UI joins Big Ten rivals in Red Cross blood drive

By Kalari Girtley

Not only are the Fighting Illini trying to capture the conference title on the basketball court, but the University is also competing with three other Big Ten schools to save the most lives.

The Big Ten Challenge blood drive kicked off last Wednesday and continued on Friday with a guest appearance from men’s basketball coach Bruce Weber.

“We are just really fortunate to have him,” said Esther Lee, senior in LAS.

Weber appeared on behalf of the basketball team to encourage people to donate blood.

“Kids are always looking to be a part of something, and this is the chance to be a part of something that may save a life down the road,” Weber said.

Lee is a member of the student chapter of the Red Cross, which was responsible for putting on the blood drive. Lee said the Red Cross has had two blood drives per semester. For the Big Ten Challenge, however, seven more drives are planned for this month. She said the blood collected would be sent to the Red Cross blood bank, and the bank would send the blood to whoever needs it.

“The goal, as a whole for the challenge, is 3,000 units collected in collaboration with the three other universities,” said Elizabeth Butler, the donor recruitment representative for American Red Cross Heart of America Blood Services region. “The challenge this year could save 9,000 lives.”

This is the first year of the challenge, Butler said.

The other schools in the challenge are University of Michigan, Michigan State University and the Ohio State University.

She said she is happy that four schools participated in the challenge.

“We hope to involve all eleven schools from the Big Ten eventually,” Butler said.

Lee said having Weber there helped motivate the Red Cross club, and they passed their original goal of 50 units by seven for the day.

“Just knowing we had the support of a Big Ten Coach, made us feel good,” Lee said.

Weber was unable to donate blood because he did not have his ID; the team’s trainer said it would not be a good idea for the players to donate blood because of the upcoming game.

“Maybe in the future, if this continues to grow, we can get the players involved,” Weber said.